Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. There should be a way to monitor inactivity in common computer labs

It seems unfair that people are allowed to leave a computer for more than thirty minutes but stay logged on. Many times I have tried to work in the ctlm computer labs, which itself is a hot commodity I know, and people have left their belongings at a computer but are nowhere in site.

On another note I have sat in ctlm for over an hour with no one next to me. Then when a friend or random person goes to sit down, another person is still logged in to the computer when no others are available. This can create…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. More Engineering, Less Academics

Do you want more time to do the things that recruiters want to see? Me too. Let's be real, Mines is behind the times and focuses way too much on academics and busy work. Let's get together and demand as a student body that we be treated like adults and get more hands-on work and support for personal projects. I'm talking scrapping field session and requiring internships to graduate, more building for classes instead of calculating, freeing up electives for concentrations, access to the equipment and tools that we need, and emphasizing to students that having a portfolio of personal

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently Mines, as you say, offers a lot of busywork and academics, which is necessary for ALL engineers to graduate. However, it also offers opportunities through clubs and organizations to do the type of engineering hands on projects you are speaking of. As a student you have to go find these opportunities. ORGsync is a great resource!

If you want the curriculum to change: talk to teachers. If you want more opportunities: join clubs and make them bigger. If you want to change the whole school direction: talk to the president over pizza.

-USG

3. Holiday Homework

Mines closes campus for Federal Holidays. This means that the Library, classrooms, and almost every other building on campus is closed. This would make sense, if not for one factor: Homework is still often due on holidays. It is a major failure of the University that they would allow homework assignments to be due on days which are recognized as "breaks".
    Though this may come across as a minor gripe that all students have to suffer through, I would argue this is indicative of a blatant disregard of students' mental health needs. The school is sending a message that they…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Academics  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Blackboard should receive a serious push from the school to work better and more consistently, or Mines should switch to a different system.

Blackboard is notorious for crashing during peak usage times, which is inconvenient for teachers and students alike. Not only does Blackboard supply grades, but it also hosts quizzes, homework, and study materials: all things that students should have access to 24/7. Many students have trouble accessing Blackboard on mobile devices, and the app (which you have to pay for) crashes frequently. Blackboard is used by numerous schools across the country and either needs a harder push from schools to increase their reliability and service, or needs to be replaced with something more reliable. Its simply not fair to students.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We met with our CIO and he informed us that there were some major changes made and bugs fixed that should prevent nearly all blackboard crashes in the future. Hope this helps!

Love,
    USG

We are going to ask the blackboard administrator why these errors occur so often. Once we get that information we will work on what to do next!

5. What's your beef sign

The sign has a dairy cow on it, not a beef cow.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Study Rooms Being Locked - Junior

In many buildings on campus some study rooms are locked and require a reservation. I understand the need for this on campus (for meetings and such), however there is no reason to lock these study rooms when they are not in use. At night I have a difficult time trying to find a quiet yet comfortable place to study on campus. Study rooms are also great if you want to be louder and talk among your study group without disturbing others in public areas who want the environment to be quiet. There should be a way to allow those locked…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Concerns about vaccination mandates

To whom it may concern:

I understand that the government restrictions related to the pandemic have upended the lives of many. I also understand that many people have died from the complications related to the novel coronavirus. However, the harms of a vaccine mandate are far greater than the benefits at this time. I do not consider myself anti-science or anti-vaccination as a whole but these are my major objections against requiring any non-FDA approved vaccine:

1. The vaccine has not been approved by the FDA. It had only been emergency authorized. With a vaccine mandate, you will be requiring people…
    16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Club sports needs work

I do not believe club sports has enough administrative resources to meet the needs of all the club sports teams. It is extremely hard to get anything done for your team. We are limited in fundraising, and now maybe even the number of players, and which season we can participate in. Club sports should encourage more people to play and multi semester seasons. If more people participate then clubs can acquire more funds through dues and potentially decrease the price for each player. Clubs should be allowed to have as many participants as they desire.

Additionally it is unfair when…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Chemistry labs are not accessible

The chemistry labs are not accessible for students with mobility issues. Last year my friend was in a wheelchair and when she brought up the issue she was told to drop the course. This is completely unacceptable. She reached out to DSS and they told her they couldn’t do anything. In my experience with DSS and accessibility on campus no one is actually interested in changing things. They just want to say they are promoting accessibility and say they’re open to feedback with zero results.
    We have also been fighting to better the process of notifying students of outages on…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We should not Have tests the week after spring break!!

Having to study my butt off during my spring break isn't much of a break. We work hard enough as Mines' students and deserve a little R&R, also every other college in existence has mid terms the week before break for this reason.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Let's fix the M!

Over fall break, the M was struck by lightning, damaging part of the M's electrical system. The lightning burnt out half of the white light bulbs and damaged several sections of the M making it impossible to light the M white. The M will remain red indefinitely. The old M can't be fixed since it is out of code so a complete overhaul of the M would be needed. As a member of Blue Key who spends a lot of time working on the M, the M's electrical system is in bad shape. The structure is literally falling apart.

I…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please explain more about what you mean by emails? Emails from USG, from the school, from who?
    Thank you

UPDATE:
    If you are speaking about emails coming from Mines then you should have noticed less email after the daily-blast was implemented. This system puts all the schools info on one page so that it is not constantly being sent to you in several emails each day.

If you have any other comments please share them below.

-USG

15. Course evaluations should be open longer

I saw this was posted back in 2014 but it doesn't look like anything has changed in the past 3 years regarding this. I feel like the blackboard course evaluations should be opened past dead day, potentially be open at least until finals are over or until final grades are out. For some classes, finals are worth a significant part of the grade and we have no way to judge how overall fair or effective a teacher/class is without having taken the final. I'd also be more willing to do the evaluation when I'm not spending time studying for those…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Recycling Bins next to Oreprint Stations

I've noticed at some Oreprint stations there is no recycling nearby and people just end up piling their misprint papers on top of the printers. Recycling bins at all stations would be an easy fix for this.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. JUNIOR

During the winter months, especially when there's snow, there should be a shuttle that runs up to mines park. I miss my general parking pass and walking 20-30 min when it's wet and cold isn't fun!

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Counseling Resources

Two friends of mine recently went to the counseling center. One was immediately given referrals elsewhere. The other was seen for about twenty minutes and was then done because he wasn't "in a state of crisis". Our counseling center does not have the resources it should have! They don't have the capability to see students regularly unless they are in crisis, but so many students are left without help because of this, and they end up becoming those students in crisis because they didn't get help sooner. Any time a person makes an appointment, they are actively trying to better…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Giving female graduates roses at graduation

Upon learning that female grads are to be presented with roses at graduation, I spoke to several female colleagues regarding their feelings. Honestly, we feel that this is patronizing; if the school wants to honor female grads, they could make a plaque with each woman's name on it, and see how the plaques grow over the years. Roses are a traditionally feminine and delicate object, and they do not even remotely represent the effort that ALL graduates put in here.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Meal Plans for Fall 2018/Spring 2019

For next year, the highest level meal plan for freshmen is a 19 meal swipes a week.

This is absolutely unacceptable because this does not even allow the residential students to have three meal a day at Mines Market. I feel like this is an absolute travesty because as a freshmen some of the best memories I had was going to Mines Market with my friends and decompressing after a long day. Without the freedom of at least three meals at Mines Market a day, these freshmen are loosing an important and fun part of Mines

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students