Graduate Students

1. In-person mandatory CBE department seminars for graduate students

The issue is the current plan to have 70 students gathered inside a closed classroom every Friday for 1h, amid a global pandemic. Then, if you happen to get sick (perhaps for the second time), you are not allowed on campus for 1-2 weeks.

If the mentality is that we are all going to get COVID anyway, then hey, let us keep doing our work while infected, and stop nagging us to waste time at home. If, on the other hand, the CBE is actually concerned and wishes not to promote the spread of the disease, then CBE can do…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mines Parking Pass for Family Housing

I live in Mines Park Family Housing, and as such I automatically have a Mines Park Parking Pass, but because of this I cannot buy a General/Commuter Mines Parking Pass. I share a car with my partner and need to drive them to work every day before returning to campus for my classes, which cuts down on the time I have to walk from Mines Park down to school. I really need a General/Commuter parking pass for this very reason, and am more than willing to pay for it, but cannot because of the Mines Park/Mines Parking policy. Is there…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Classes on Career Day

It seems counterproductive to hold classes on career day. I understand the event seems more popular in the undergraduate population, but it is still an invaluable resource for graduating grad students as well.

Throughout undergrad it seemed fairly standard for professors to cancel classes to allow students to attend career day, but this doesn't seem to be the case for graduate level courses (at least that I have experienced). When brought up to a professor, I was told that while they did not want to put students in a bad position, they also were not required to cancel class and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Transparency in TA assignment workload balance

Some of us have been noticing during the past two years the inconsistent doling out of TA responsibilities in terms of the number of credits assigned for teaching workloads. What group of faculty/grad students makes these decisions, and how much has advisor advocacy factored into establishing teaching loads for each TA?

Can we get more grads involved in this process? Do we have 1) an established, formal wording about what constitutes a full workload across a single academic year, and 2) a formal explanation about reasonable adjustments that the deciding body can make after a TA contract is signed?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Graduate Students

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base