Undergraduate Students

1. SRC gym space, sanitation, and safety issues

I know this idea has been presented numerous times in the past three or so years, but the SRC gym appears to be far too small for the number of students at our school. I understand there was the recent gym addition in the new Spruce dorm, but the space seems relatively small compared to the immense growth of our student population. Given that the space issue cannot be fixed immediately, I am curious to know what plan the administration has in place to address the issue.

In addition to the space concern, I feel that more effort should be…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Expand limited pronoun options on Canvas

Canvas has pronouns options. Great! However, they are extremely limited. The options available are: "ze/zir, hir/zirs, hirs;" "they/them/theirs;" "he/him/his;" and "she/her/hers." There are no other options.

This is not very good. Furthermore, this has been decided by Mines at some point; the defaults Canvas has without the list being modified is "she/her," "he/him," and "they/them" [1].

Why is this an issue? There are two major reasons. First, it does not allow for mixed pronouns. The Trevor Project's national survey shows that "nearly two-thirds of LGBTQ youth who use pronouns outside of the binary opt to use combinations of he/him, she/her,…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Club sports needs work

I do not believe club sports has enough administrative resources to meet the needs of all the club sports teams. It is extremely hard to get anything done for your team. We are limited in fundraising, and now maybe even the number of players, and which season we can participate in. Club sports should encourage more people to play and multi semester seasons. If more people participate then clubs can acquire more funds through dues and potentially decrease the price for each player. Clubs should be allowed to have as many participants as they desire.

Additionally it is unfair when…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration/Faculty  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Display in the Student Center

There's a display near the couches outside of Periodic Table. It used to be a nice place to sit but now it's not because of the annoying noise the new display makes. This petition is to remove the display (or at least keep it muted).

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Expand Available On-Campus Therapy

Mines talks a lot about how in favor it is of supporting mental health, but a lot of the resources seem to be more fluff than genuinely beneficial. Wellness workshops and 10 minutes in health office hours aren't providing what hurting students need- therapy should be more widely and quickly available for students on campus. Even getting referred to long-term therapy off campus takes months, and follow up is very limited. That's a big problem for people who need someone to talk to.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Remote learning during inclement weather

This semester in specific, there have been multiple instances of clear, 50 degree, sunny days, followed by massive 4-8 inch snow storms. Many of these days the roads have been unsafe, even for the most experienced winter drivers, with snow tires and 4-wheel drive, let alone students not experienced with driving in the snow and students who do not own vehicles well-equipped for the snow. The COVID-19 pandemic proved that 100% remote or online learning, while obviously not desirable, is still entirely possible. This thread is not necessarily asking for more snow days, or the opportunity to miss more class…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Mines Car Theft Problem

I am sick and tired of seeing Timely Warning: Motor Vehicle Theft in my inbox. MPD needs to develop a plan on how they plan to tackle the increasing number of car thefts that have occurred on campus. And no, telling me "This motor vehicle theft is consistent with a notable increase in vehicle crimes across the Denver Metropolitan area" does not cut it.

I have concerns that my car may be stolen/broken into if I do not park as close as possible to campus buildings and I no longer feel safe leaving campus later at night as I worry…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Clean the SRC Gym Floors!

The gym floors are so dirty it doesn't matter if you wear nice gym shoes, you won't get any traction and you'll just have to clean your shoes every time you use the gym. My idea is pretty simple: SRC employees stay for an hour after close (once or twice a week) and sweep and mop the gym floors. The SRC at Mines has the cost of a nice gym, but delivers the quality and service of a shoddy gym at a large middle school. Half of the SRC employees are being paid to watch tv behind the desk, or…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your beef Ethan! This has quickly become an important issue among students. I have contacted the recreation center to address the cleanliness and safety issues with the gym. Regarding being overcrowded, administration is taking steps to curve the issue with Spruce and Jackson having gyms. Additionally there are future plans to create more indoor recreation space open to all students.

-Griffin

10. Mines should provide access to Tampons and Pads in all bathrooms

Colorado School of Mines should have access to tampons and pads in all bathrooms. Currently, the Vanguard Scholars are sponsoring tampons and pads in the bathroom, however, making sure students have period supplies should not fall on a student group. Even if the tampons and pad dispensers "are not used enough" it should not be on student organizations to supply tampons. In the bathrooms where there are no tampons and pads provided by the vanguard scholars, there are signs that recommend walking to the Ben Parker student center in order to get supplies. This must have been written by someone…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bring back Zime meal exchange options

As a first year student living on campus, there are not many dining opportunities in general. You've got charred chicken at Qdoba, mystery meat at wow cafe, mines market, and now, zime. And if its a weekend, all you've got only mines market operating on limited hours, so tough luck if you want to do something before 9 AM.

Of all those, I found zime to be the only thing I could consistently choke down, and it made for a great place for a lunch break with plenty of room to study at the tables. Now the school wants to…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make Campus More Accessible

First off it would be great if buildings had better signage. It can be hard to find elevators and classrooms which can be a hardship for students with mobility problems, especially those of us who experience pain when walking. This is especially a problem in the old buildings that have new additions. It is very hard to find accessible routes to classrooms in various parts of the building.
    Second, have functioning elevators in buildings. The elevator in Marquez has been down since around Thanksgiving 2021. There is only 1 elevator in Marquez so students with mobility problems cannot access their…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hybrid classes for the beginning of the SP22 semester

With the increase of COVID cases in CO and across the country, I feel it would be wise to have hybrid courses for the beginning of the year. I think this would allow students to get properly tested before returning to in-person classes while allowing those who have been exposed or are COVID positive the ability to attend classes without falling behind.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Remote Lecture Access

With the increased rate of transmission of the Omicron variant and its ability to infect people who are fully vaccinated, it seems increasingly likely that we will have large outbreaks on campus. With this in mind, I believe that Mines should return to requiring remote access for lectures over Zoom, at least while this variant is producing record numbers of cases daily.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Blastercard access during non-business hours

When I was a freshman, we had Bastercard access to get into public buildings on campus after hours. Mines called itself an open campus at the time because of this. It was great because we could study at the school during weekends and use the rooms to meet with friends after homework or activities.
    Now, it's a hit or miss on getting into buildings because there's no Blastercard access and you need to find a door that's been propped open. Let us access the buildings after hours again!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Gym Membership Isn't Included in Part Time tuition

Hello,
    I was shocked to find out that my part time undergraduate tuition didn't cover the gym fee, and I think it is discriminatory to students who cannot take full credit hours due to financial hardships, or personal reasons. If I were to pay for a full set of credit hours and then drop some mid-semester, I would be able to go to the gym with out paying the fee. I don't think Mines should be so prejudiced towards students who take full credit hours because they will be paying the same amount over time by the time they are…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Administration/Faculty  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Civils taking dynamics

Can we revamp the civil engineering curriculum to not include dynamics? Dynamics is listed as a mechanical engineering class. It doesn't make sense to have civils in there. 90% of the curriculum does not pertain to civil engineers as it focuses on velocity, rotation gears and collars all which move. Civil engineers deal with things that are stationary. The only reason i've heard civils have to take it is for vibration, however that could easily be incoporated into another class as it at the end of the semester. Furthermore, it requires a significant amount of coding all of which civils…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Academics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Policy to prohibit assignments due on exam days

As the title says, classes should be prohibited from having assignments due the same day an exam for the same class is scheduled. There is no reason to created added stress and workload on top of studying if it's within the control of the instructor. The day after isn't much to ask.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Administration/Faculty  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Why isn't Zime operating at its full potential?

I think Zime has great potential as a dining location on campus. Coming into this year, I was expecting it to be revamped with a broader menu and indoor seating after having conversations with the workers there. Unfortunately, my expectation was not met at all. After a conversation today with one of the workers, I learned that the lack of improvements is in the school's hands. Zime has enough seating furniture to open at least half of the dining area, but I was told by the employee that the school wouldn't allow it. I was also told their lack of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Motion Lab Hours

Would love for the motion lab in spruce to have better hours. It's only open weekdays from 11-8, which seem pretty short especially considering how busy the rec center is.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22