Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. New Streaming Device for on campus housing

The email regarding the new streaming TV service says that we can live stream TV from any device including our TV "at no extra cost", but to watch it through our TV, we have to buy a Roku device. That's not "at no extra cost". That is an additional cost. I do not think it's fair that I have to pay extra to watch sports on my TV when I was informed that this would be free and that it did not cost extra in the past. Mines should pay for Rokus otherwise their email is false. There also is…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Lines for General Street Parking

We should add lines on the streets where general parking permits are allowed. Many people on campus with General permits take up two spaces and park too far from other cars. Many cases I see two cars taking up three or four street spots. Adding lines would help deter this from happening and ensure more available parking to everyone who pays for a general permit.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. We Should Have a Psychology Class

Our school is great for learning engineering specific topics, but being an educated person is much more than having technical ability. It is great knowing that when I graduate I will be an amazing engineer, but it would be great to be able to leave a well rounded individual that not only understands the way that I think, but also how other people think and feel. Understanding how people process information is good knowledge to have in order to improve everything from studying habits to understanding how to relate to others on group projects. Psychology is also a very scientific…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. More Microwaves on Campus

Currently in order to microwave a meal one must go to either the student center or rec center. This requires all work to be stopped and packed to walk to the student or rec center, which are both lousy study areas. Meals are also only able to be microwaved when those buildings are open. It would be beneficial, to anyone who wants to save money and eat leftovers for lunch, if microwaves were placed in each building, or at the very least busy study buildings such as the CTLM, brown and so on.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    IT has been accomplished! Both CTLM and Brown now have microwaves. The one in CTLM is by the commons and is useable 24/7. The other is in brown right next to Blaster Brew (the Starbucks) in front of the windows.

-USG

USG talked with Sodexo and the heads of different buildings and everyone likes this idea.

More info will go out once this process is further along. Thank you for this idea.

-USG

5. The Language Program Should be Exapanded

The language program at Mines needs to provide more languages AND provide students with the option to learn a language for more than two semesters. Currently students can only take Spanish 1 in the Fall and Spanish 2 in the Spring. Students who could not take Spanish 1 in the fall have to wait a whole year to reconsider their options...and students who want to take Spanish 3 have no option at all. In today's industry being bilingual is an asset that sets engineers apart (isn't this what Mines is all about?). The language program also NEEDS to be more…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The school’s administration believed that not enough students were taking language classes. The LAIS department decided to stop the language program and to use the budget to improve current liberal arts classes and create new ones. The most common option now is to take language classes at Red Rocks community college and transfer earned credits to Mines.

Sincerely,
    USG

6. More Engineering, Less Academics

Do you want more time to do the things that recruiters want to see? Me too. Let's be real, Mines is behind the times and focuses way too much on academics and busy work. Let's get together and demand as a student body that we be treated like adults and get more hands-on work and support for personal projects. I'm talking scrapping field session and requiring internships to graduate, more building for classes instead of calculating, freeing up electives for concentrations, access to the equipment and tools that we need, and emphasizing to students that having a portfolio of personal

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently Mines, as you say, offers a lot of busywork and academics, which is necessary for ALL engineers to graduate. However, it also offers opportunities through clubs and organizations to do the type of engineering hands on projects you are speaking of. As a student you have to go find these opportunities. ORGsync is a great resource!

If you want the curriculum to change: talk to teachers. If you want more opportunities: join clubs and make them bigger. If you want to change the whole school direction: talk to the president over pizza.

-USG

7. Let's fix the M!

Over fall break, the M was struck by lightning, damaging part of the M's electrical system. The lightning burnt out half of the white light bulbs and damaged several sections of the M making it impossible to light the M white. The M will remain red indefinitely. The old M can't be fixed since it is out of code so a complete overhaul of the M would be needed. As a member of Blue Key who spends a lot of time working on the M, the M's electrical system is in bad shape. The structure is literally falling apart.

I…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. All of the wood-topped tables in the library

All of the wood-topped tables in the library are awful when trying to do homework. They are way too porous and/or the grain to broad. I'm either poking holes all over the page from my pencil graphite or I have a straight-side letter Q due to the grain hiding just beneath my E2 paper. They either need new surfaces or junked for new tables altogether. A fine engineering institution should have nice smooth table tops!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Meeting rooms should be high occupancy only.

Lone students should not be allowed to use meeting rooms by themselves.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    Sevy Swift, USG’s Vice President, came with a solution that makes it easier to share study rooms in Brown with other students. Sevy designed and installed ‘occupancy signs’ which make it clear to other students if someone is willing to share a study room. We hope that this increases the occupancy of the study rooms in Brown. We would like to hear feedback on this new system and are open for other suggestions!

Sincerely,
    USG

10. The Language Program Should not be Cut

The LAIS department is attempting to cut all languages except Spanish. This is unfair to those of us who have already taken Spanish and wish to learn more languages and to people who just really want to learn a new language. Cutting the program also leaves multiple faculty jobless starting December 17th. Engineering is such a global and international profession that we should be given access to language programs in order to help us become more successful. Language skills are highly marketable in the job market, and it is unfair to rob students of the opportunity to expand our horizons.

402 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG worked hard last year with the LAIS language department to stop certain language classes from being cut. Unfortunately there was a lack of enrollment for some of these classes and the funding moved elsewhere in the LAIS department.

If you feel that the language program should be added to in the future, and not cut, please make a new post and get people to vote for it. USG will fight for you if you show there is a need.

-USG

11. There should be a way to monitor inactivity in common computer labs

It seems unfair that people are allowed to leave a computer for more than thirty minutes but stay logged on. Many times I have tried to work in the ctlm computer labs, which itself is a hot commodity I know, and people have left their belongings at a computer but are nowhere in site.

On another note I have sat in ctlm for over an hour with no one next to me. Then when a friend or random person goes to sit down, another person is still logged in to the computer when no others are available. This can create…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Rec Center Vending Machine

It would be awesome if the rec center had a vending machine specifically for post workout snacks. This could include protein shakes, protein bars, naked juices, and other healthy(er) snacks. The only place on campus to get these things is the Marketplace, so it would be much more convenient and time saving (especially for those who live off campus) to be able to go to a vending machine right in the rec center.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. A truck parking lot!!!

Big trucks do not fit in regular small compact spaces. I cannot downsize because I need a worktruck, and being so wide, many dents and dings are put in the side of my truck because there's not adequate space to open doors. There should be a designated lot for large trucks only.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Mines market needs better vegetarian food

Mines market needs better vegetarian options. I often go there and the vegetarian option is empty and all of the other options are heavily meat based. I have found myself eating only salad (the pizza is also all meat) for most of the week and I'm looking for variety and some food that I can eat for the money that I pay for my meal plan

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. All of the chairs (lecture chairs with the little desks) in Berthoud 241 squeak so much that it becomes a huge distraction during exams

In Berthoud 241, where I have taken more than one exam now, the folding chairs and small desks that accompany them (which are tiny) squeak a lot more than most lecture halls do. It's hard to concentrate during a calculus test when there are 200 other people in the hall moving the desks even just a little bit, which makes them squeak. I wouldn't have said anything unless it was such a big deal. I feel like people in Cal I and II who have taken a test in there would agree with me.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:

This issue has been resolved. USG treached out to facilities and a work order 92753 was made and accomplished.

Love
    USG

The USG Sophomore Class sent out a survey about exam rooms and we received very valuable feedback on testing rooms. Berthoud 241 is one of the locations that need improvements and the Sophomore Class completely agrees with you. We are currently talking to the Registrar about changing/improving the exam rooms used in common hour exams.
    Thank you for you time!

Sincerely,
    USG

17. After Dark People Over Advertising

The After Dark People have literally broken every chalking rule that there is. They have given out fliers that were not approved by Res Life in the Res halls. They have exploited Blaster for a religious event, which is completely inappropriate. Something needs to be done, because this is just too ridiculous. They should be held to the same standards as any other event on campus.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Campus Wide Email with Finals Schedule

It is only through word of mouth that students are aware of Mines posting the finals schedule. Because finals are such a big deal, there should be an email sent out detailing the finals schedule. Yes, it is accessible online but we are never even notified when it is posted. Students need to book plane tickets and make arrangements for going home. At the least, notifications/ an announcement needs to be made of the schedule being posted.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Repair the roads around campus.

The roads are uneven and there are too many potholes. It is unpleasant to drive around campus.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. EPICS department should be redone or get better funding

The Epics department is horrible. With a regular professor, a SolidWorks professor, and a drawing professor, it's overwhelming for students to work to each professor's expectations while using the same notebook. Not to mention, the class moves way too quickly. After one drawing class, the professor expected everyone to have 50 good drawings done by the next time she came to class, which was 5 weeks later. During that time, the Epics students had to work on the actual solution for the project-based part of the class in addition to learning new material and doing 20 vague homeworks on SolidWorks.…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?