What's Your Beef?

1. MAC should choose artists that don't harass women

When B.o.B. brought female students on stage and was grinding on them, I felt that it was extremely inappropriate. I feel that at the very least, MAC could choose artists capable of being respectful to the students of the school. I think that it is important to raise awareness of the issue of sexual harassment and for MAC to make choices that don't contribute to a culture that is accepting of such behavior.

360 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't Extend Paid Parking Until 7:00!

I know there's a lot of complaints about parking on here, but this is a little different. I've heard that Parking Services is going to extend paid parking on campus until 7pm! Anyone who's been on campus after 5pm knows that parking at that time isn't an issue--it's really just from 10am to 3pm. Extending the hours isn't a solution to the parking problems, it's just a way for the school to make more money. In addition, this change makes it even harder for people without parking permits (Mines Park residents, etc.)/with commuter permits to access the gym, library, or…

1,207 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good afternoon! Thank you for voicing your concern to us! After talking with President Johnson and confirming with Parking Services, we have confirmed that they will not be extending paid parking restricted hours on campus! As verified in the Daily Blast on 9/17/18, parking confirmed this to be true. FEAR NOT MINES, PARKING SHALL REMAIN 7am-5pm Monday-Friday! Let us know if any other concerns should arise! Thank you.

-USG

3. MAC no longer asking for student input (2019)

In light of the recent release of the E-Days theme and the events, it seems like MAC is no longer asking the student body what it wants in terms of these events. E-Days is a hallowed event that brings students together and lets us relax for a single weekend. This event involves concerts that have (in the past) been at least voted on by the students and not even having the chance to put in an opinion makes it seem like MAC knows what is best for the student body. We should be able to decide how we want to…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. USG Deleting "What's Your Beef" Posts without Adressing Them

A post was recently made here expressing student frustration at the slow pace the administration is taking to address serious student issues such as parking and mental health. It quickly received a lot of votes, but suddenly disappeared. Considering that there are several inappropriate and joke posts that have been here for ages, this seems suspect. If something about the post was deemed to be inappropriate, I understand, but that should have been voiced. Instead, the post was silently deleted.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can assure you, the post was not removed by USG through this account. It appears that it was marked as spam and removed by another user. We share the same concern for the deletion of the post. We will be looking into this more as well.

Also, in regards to the last post, we have begun talks with administration in regards to the post and will keep students informed on our findings.

We apologize for the deletion and will be looking into it immediately!

-USG

5. Peking Plate is Actually Inedible

This is a cry for help.

Today I was ridiculously hungry. So I went to Peking Plate for lunch. Huge mistake! The food was so bad that despite literal hunger pains I physically couldn't eat more than two bites before throwing it in the trash.
    Even when it was Habaneros, the food wasn't great. But it's pretty hard to screw up a burrito, so it was at least a reliable source of food energy. Now they're making us pay for ACTUAL GARBAGE. Also, it's the same people/ingredients/effort as before. If y'all are going to put Jalapenos in your "Chinese food",…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Good morning! Thank you for voicing your concern with us! Earlier this past semester, the junior class representatives sent out a survey asking people for feedback on Peking Plate and based off of that feedback and after coordinating with Sodexo, Peking Plate will not be returning this Spring 2019 semester. It will remain full-time Habaneros!

Best, USG

6. USG doesn't do anything

USG is basically useless. They respond to nothing on what's your beef and all they do is try to give more disgusting meal options instead of habaneros. It is simply something to put on their resume (except Sevy, he actually cares!).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for expressing your concern to us. We have spent a majority of this year revamping how we tackle projects on campus. We have transitioned to a new system intended to promote more collaboration from all members of USG and students on campus. By changing this system, we did have a slow start getting reorganized and implementing the new initiatives, but we hope that we have begun to make a visible change on campus that can continue into next year. We also are in the midst of allocations which is a major responsibility of USG. Student fees are distributed to the governing bodies to be used for the coming year through a voting process.

We invite you and anyone interested to attend any of our senate meetings (they’re all open to the public) and hear more about what we are actively working on!

-USG

7. Make forms electronic

Is there anyway we can move towards electronic forms? Every time I need to make a change, I need to get my advisor and department head's signature (and possibly a professor's signature). This is not only inconvenient because I have to physically to track down everyone down every time. Inevitably this process takes weeks, when we have extremely short deadlines (for example the ASI/Minor deadline where the form is due the first day of the semester rather than Census day). Multiple forms I've submitted via paper regarding course substitutions, advisor changes, etc. have been lost, extremely delayed, or simply never…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Talks are in the works of moving towards a more digitized form system with the registrar. This could greatly improve our efficiency and the ease of the process for students. With this being said, conversations have begun, but it will be awhile until a good solution and system is put in place. As we learn more, we will be sure to keep the student body updated!
    Thanks,
    Mines USG

8. The SRC Hours

Physical wellness is extremely important for students for academic and emotional success. Most students have classes all day and need to de-stress after finishing their homework late at night. With the SRC closing so early, many have to resort to running around the streets at late hours such as 12am which can be extremely hazardous. So, could the SRC hours be changed to as late as the library hours (2am) or even 24hrs during the week? Certain areas, such as rock climbing or the pool which may be viewed as needing an SRC worker to be there could be closed…

244 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Recycling Bins next to Oreprint Stations

I've noticed at some Oreprint stations there is no recycling nearby and people just end up piling their misprint papers on top of the printers. Recycling bins at all stations would be an easy fix for this.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Stop letting other departments reserve the Mining computer lab!

We didn't have a computer lab with mining software all last semester (I want my technology fee refunded) and now with a new computer lab the Registrar allows non-mining classes to reserve the lab. We routinely get kicked out by EPICS, MechE, and other classes and THIS IS THE ONLY LAB WITH THE MINING SOFTWARE THAT WE NEED! Stop letting other classes reserve our lab. It is especially frustrating when a mechanical class uses our lab and their lab upstairs is available.

217 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Why is Oreprint a cash only service?

I'm not sure what the justification was for Mines implementing the Ore Print system but I think its a little ridiculous that we have to buy credits on prepaid cards and only with cash. The current system makes no sense, if I need to print a 5 page paper and I come up $0.06 short for just one page and I don't have cash the only option is to trek across campus to an ATM, which may or may not have money, get the minimum $20, come back to wherever I was printing, break the $20 so I can get…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Wellness Center bogus

I think the Wellness Center is the only office (entire building) on campus that completely shuts down for lunch 12-1. A lot of students have a break between classes at noon so this is one of the only times we can make it to Wellness Center and the fact they're closed is pretty inconvenient, especially considering the cost we pay for this service. Adding weekend hours would be great but it seems like everything on campus is closed on the weekends so I wouldn't expect that trend to change here.

It's highly recommended that we schedule an appointment in advance…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. All of the chairs (lecture chairs with the little desks) in Berthoud 241 squeak so much that it becomes a huge distraction during exams

In Berthoud 241, where I have taken more than one exam now, the folding chairs and small desks that accompany them (which are tiny) squeak a lot more than most lecture halls do. It's hard to concentrate during a calculus test when there are 200 other people in the hall moving the desks even just a little bit, which makes them squeak. I wouldn't have said anything unless it was such a big deal. I feel like people in Cal I and II who have taken a test in there would agree with me.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE:

This issue has been resolved. USG treached out to facilities and a work order 92753 was made and accomplished.

Love
    USG

The USG Sophomore Class sent out a survey about exam rooms and we received very valuable feedback on testing rooms. Berthoud 241 is one of the locations that need improvements and the Sophomore Class completely agrees with you. We are currently talking to the Registrar about changing/improving the exam rooms used in common hour exams.
    Thank you for you time!

Sincerely,
    USG

14. USG is being irresponsible with money

I'd like to point out that every student here is paying a lot of money to go to Mines. In that, a large chunk of the money is going toward USG to help better our campus. USG is around to make campus better and hear the complaints of fellow students. USG is NOT here to use our money to buy headbands, hoodies, shirts, pants, and UNDERWEAR with the phrasing "We put the STUD in student gov". Which is exactly what they are planning to do with the money. It's really great that they are currently focusing on what color the…

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voicing your concern to us! It is of the utmost importance to USG that we are actively working to better campus and student life for everyone. With that being said, we do receive a large portion of funds from student fees, but that money then gets reallocated to the 9 governing bodies that make up USG. The large majority of these funds go directly to MAC, BSO, BSM, etc. USG allocates a low amount of necessary funds to effectively do our job in bettering student life on campus with our various initiatives.

As far as the merchandise, we did purchase shirts for all of our members because it is very important for us to get our name out to the student body as it is our job to listen and voice their opinions to higher administration. We believe this purchase serves an important…

15. Mines Park Price Increase

In case anyone has not heard, Mines Park is planning on increasing rent prices next year. The new prices are as follows
    Single: 1196/month
    Double: 819/person/month
    Triple: 749/person/month
    For a double apartment, which is the most common, this is an increase of $164/person/month. (All prices below will be for doubles) While the new rent prices now include electricity, this is a cost of about $35/person/month and in no way justifies the major price increase. For a 10 month first year lease, that is $496 than the new res hall prices for 2 semesters, and for a year long lease it…

247 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Food Trucks: better/healthier food

Sodexo is terrible. Let’s use the new pedestrian plaza as a place to invite local food vendors to serve healthier, better quality, and locally sourced food.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello! In regards to Sodexo, Mines is currently in contract with them but USG’s Food Committee is dedicated to improving food on campus, including concerns pertaining to Sodexo. The committee is led by Willie Konishi, Junior class president. Your concerns for healthier options concerning Sodexo will be relayed to them. But in the grander scheme of things, we are concerned about health on campus as well and wanted to look into ways that we could support healthier food choices for students. In fact, USG has just began on an initiative to bring a “farmer’s market” type event to campus along with other clubs/orgs. We would bring in local farmers and businesses to participate so the Mines community can become more familiar with local and healthy food. This initiative is also being led by Willie Konishi, the Junior class president. If you are interested in helping us bring local and healthy…

17. Irresponsible USG Allocations

Other people have posted similar concerns, so here is hoping this doesn't also get declined by USG.
    It has come to my attention that USG has been irresponsibly and unjustifiably allocating money to itself during the allocations to governing bodies at the end of the academic year. As some of you may know, there are multiple governing bodies on campus and each receives an allocation of money from USG in the Spring semester for the following year. Here is the breakdown of allocations:
    - BSO: $302,000 (to be split between all 180+ organizations on campus)
    - MAC: $242,000 (to put…

119 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reaching out! We’re glad you’re interested in USG and what we’re doing.

First off, we apologize that you’re upset over allocations. While some of the numbers and budget management you described are incorrect, we invite you to learn more about the Student Fee allocations process. Tonight during our regular Senate meeting at 6:45 in BE205, we will begin small presentations from each governing body on spending and what each is using their allocated money for.

Our treasurer is also available during office hours throughout the week and can help you understand the USG budget. Treasurer office hours can be found on our website, usg.mines.edu. Any fee-paying student can request an expense report from the treasurer at any time during the academic year.

In addition, we also have allocation meetings scheduled later in the semester for the actual process where governing bodies complete formal presentations and decide on money…

18. USG Doesn't Actually Address What's Your Beef Issues

As of when I am making this post, May 15th 2018, the last post USG commented on was made at the end of January. It is unacceptable that USG provide What's Your Beef as a place for students to air their grievances but then ignore them for months. Of the issues that do get addressed, the majority are rejected or stuck in the limbo that is "planned" or "started" without any action. This makes the students feel ignored and that USG is doing nothing for them.

Please USG, at least comment on all the issues so students can have closure.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good afternoon! First off, I would like to apologize for the lack of responses recently through What’s Your Beef. Response times have been slow or lacking in the past and as the new USG installed for this academic year, this is something we are working to improve! We greatly appreciate student’s voicing their opinions through this portal and we believe it is imperative that we listen and respond to what is being said. With this being said, we have started a What’s Your Beef Committee within USG solely dedicated to reading, investigating, and resolving issues brought forth through What’s Your Beef. I hope this aims to improve upon our response times and provide better answers for you all! Thank you and we hope in the future to better serve you all and utilize What’s Your Beef more effectively and thoroughly.

19. E-Days Concert Lineup

E-Days Concert Lineup

I'd like to suggest a re-selecting and structuring of the E-Days concert lineup to something that more accurately represents the student body and their tastes across genres. Of all of the people I've talked to there aren't many who are all too pleased with the options presented in the Survey.

This year has shown the exclusion of anything with a resemblance to EDM. Electronic music is the concert genre of choice for much of the student body and I'd like to suggest another look at the drawing board of ideas we can afford. This year has two…

310 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. USG Should Send Email on Voting Issues

As a student at Colorado School of Mines, I have no idea what USG is voting on at any given time. I believe, in order to actually increase the transparency of the organization, USG should inform its constituents of what the voting issues are. I don't know about other students, but I would like to know if they are voting to raise my tuition, change the RTD passes, or pass new construction projects. Additionally, if anyone tells you that they do, just take a look at there 'governing documents' page: https://usg.mines.edu/governing-documents/ On this page there is no mention of any…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reaching out! We’re glad you’re interested in USG and what we’re doing.

You are correct in the fact that we haven’t been the best at sharing memos/resolutions being voted on; this was not by design or intent. Throughout the past semester, including this one, USG has been working to improve our transparency and communication with the student body, and that includes our efforts to let students know what is happening.

We believe this is a great idea, and it would help improve our transparency with students! Moving forward we will do our best to share our resolutions, memos, and things being voted on and when. In addition, the final vote will be up on the website under Governing Documents. At times it will be difficult because things do come up last minute, however, we still want to keep everyone on the same page.

Sometimes we do make mistakes…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

What's Your Beef?

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base