Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. "Where my sign at" -David

You know that amazing sign that used to live outside Meyer Hall?...Yeah where's that at tho? Y'know that one that said things like "No grandma it's Mines not MIMES." Excuse me, bring it back, please!

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Meal Plans for Fall 2018/Spring 2019

For next year, the highest level meal plan for freshmen is a 19 meal swipes a week.

This is absolutely unacceptable because this does not even allow the residential students to have three meal a day at Mines Market. I feel like this is an absolute travesty because as a freshmen some of the best memories I had was going to Mines Market with my friends and decompressing after a long day. Without the freedom of at least three meals at Mines Market a day, these freshmen are loosing an important and fun part of Mines

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. (Lack of) Ping Pong Tables

The Rec Center Ping Pong table is always in use. I try to practice with my friend but it is often full or someone is waiting for us to finish. Also sometimes the room is reserved for cycling or other events. I believe there should be more than 1 table as 1 table does not sustain the demand for the use of the table.

Thanks USG!

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. MAC (Mines Activity Council)

MAC (Mines Activity Council) needs to have more checks and balances in place. I understand they plan a lot of the events on our campus but their organization should not be so much above all other campus clubs. Not only do all of their members get paid for the time they “work” but their funds also pay for them all to receive +$100 embroidered jackets every year, expensive retreat dinners (nice sushi restaurant) and a weekend trip to Boston (which I understand was for a conference but all other clubs have to pay for their own way to most events…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We should give less money to the athletic department and more money to departments that need more faculty or more funding for research

So doing research on this, I could not find an itemized expenditure sheet as for what this institution pays for certain departments (which raises another issue that the institution should be more open about how they are handling our money). If I am wrong in what I am saying, then please attach an itemized expenditures sheet to this post proving such and I will be on my way including the means that this department makes revenue off of. With that being said, I am assuming that Mines pays a lot of money for our athletic department because of 1) Travel…

97 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Online Assignment Cost

I do not believe that we should have to pay for online assignments in classes where it isn't included with a textbook. How it normally works; a student pays tuition, a professors assigns homework, a TA grades the work, the TA is paid by the school. Because online homework is automatically graded, the cost for the online resources should come from the money that they aren't paying TAs, not out of our pocket on top of tuition.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. For god's sake unlock the damn doors.

Why on earth are the doors to buildings like brown locked at night and on the weekends?

This school keeps people working night and day, but denies them access to the resources they need for almost half of that time. People get in anyways, with varying amounts of time, so all this policy does is waste people's time and force them to gamble on whether or not they will be able to get in.

Buildings like Brown are one thing (not in that it's OK for them to be locked, it isn't, but at least there's usually somebody inside to…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. JUNIOR

Online homework shouldn't cost students an arm and a leg! Paying $100 for a basic online submission system to use 10 times is not fiscally smart.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. EPICS 151 should be restructured

EPICS 151 is a horrendous class for students taking a full schedule. The professors, at the beginning of the semester, tell the students that they are going to be pretty hands off, allowing students to format their own designs. They then proceed to hand out a ton of busy work, very little of which actually contributed to the final goal of the class. In addition to this, once teams have narrowed down their design ideas, the professor imposes additional, unnecessary parameters, such as the minimum number of subsystems required; these parameters are only put in place so that the professor…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make fall break a part of thanksgiving break

I understand that a 4 day weekend in the fall can be nice, but the fact that we have that 4 day weekend and then thanksgiving week still has class that Monday and Tuesday is messed up.

For out of state students, it means many of them can't go home for thanksgiving and spend some (probably) much needed time with their family. While not all of them would do this, it sucks that the choice is then taken out of their hands.

There are also students (like me) who are in-state but grew up elsewhere, and the only time we…

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

So we have just started the discussion on this topic. We have a calendar committee working with those in administration right now to address this and other topics.

About half of our senate believe similarly to your comments. We will update you once a verdict is reached. We will also bring up the topic of holding tests during that week. Thank you!

Love,
    USG

11. Counseling Resources

Two friends of mine recently went to the counseling center. One was immediately given referrals elsewhere. The other was seen for about twenty minutes and was then done because he wasn't "in a state of crisis". Our counseling center does not have the resources it should have! They don't have the capability to see students regularly unless they are in crisis, but so many students are left without help because of this, and they end up becoming those students in crisis because they didn't get help sooner. Any time a person makes an appointment, they are actively trying to better…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Construction and Parking Spring 2018 (Juniors)

This fall I have noticed time and time again, construction vehicles, contractors, and workers parked in campus parking lots or in general permit street parking. This will only be getting worse in the spring when more construction will be taking place. Students and teachers suffer from the administrations' negligence when it comes to parking on this campus. I understand that work may need to be done in a parking area and that the workers need somewhere to park but WE the students PAY to park in these spots, not them. It is time for the parking issues on this campus…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Transparency Regarding SRC Fees

Currently, I am paying about $200 for the "rec center fee" each semester, and I would just like to know exactly what is being done with the money I pay. As far as I can tell, the money is being used in an extremely inefficient fashion. Local gyms charge about $30-$50 a month, depending on level of contract commitment, relevant student discounts, etc. Assuming a four month term at $50 dollars an hour, then the SRC is right on par with these gyms. The only difference is that local gyms often service 500-1000 people, give or take. At the bare…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. RTD College Passes Should Work During Summer

I attend classes every summer, but the RTD pass we have is not active during this time. This leaves students to pay an extra $300-$400 just for transportation during May, June, July and August if you regularly use the RTD to get to and from school, work, or home.

There should be an option to add the transportation fee during summer, and keep the RTD cards active, or even just keep them active for everyone year round.

People that live in colorado will still make use of them, especially during summer when they will have more time to work between…

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there!

Yes, unfortunately, the fee collected for the academic year only provides us service to RTD for the academic year. After talking with several students this summer alone, USG will be pursing this matter.

If students who take summer classes still need the RTD service, it would most likely require an extra fee for students taking summer classes. However if the full year service is pursued, we would look into an increase in the overall fee for transportation.

Keep checking back for more updates on the matter, and thanks for reaching out!

Love,
    USG

15. Unofficial Transcripts

The registrar should update the unoffical academic transcript to say "Colorado School of Mines" somewhere on it. I recently noticed while applying to different opportunities that the current page doesn't say CSM anywhere on it, which for a few of the places I am submitting to is a stated requirement. This could be a very easy fix.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Water Fountain Filtering Monitoring

If we are going to have refill stations put in on campus the filters need to be checked and replaced regularly. The one in brown by BBW280 has been red since the start of school (2 months) and probably discourages people from using it. A bad filter can often be worse than just the regular fountain water.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The Registrar Office Permanent Staff are very Rude to Students

When students go to speak about their class schedules, graduation requirements, or transfer details, the registrar's permanent staff are rude. The email communications from the staff are short, uninformative, unorganized, etc., and when a student asks for clarification, the response is unnecessarily hostile and still unhelpful.

Direct communications are no better. However, if you complain or ask to speak to anyone who is higher in rank, you find out that their mother is their direct boss, and therefore your complaint falls on deaf ears.

If the registrar does not wish to interact with students, my suggestion is to go completely…

157 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    USG recently met with the registrar’s office. They are continuing to address this concern in new ways besides the survey. If you disagree or agree please let us know down in the comments or by visiting USG office hours.

Love,
    USG

After the joint focus group between USG, students, and the registrar, we have come up with some solutions: 
    1) The registrar is developing a survey that will be sent to all students who come into the office for assistance in order to get feedback on whether they completed their job effectively and to the satisfaction of students.
    2) The registrar has had two vacant positions recently, putting them slightly behind in processing.  Both of these positions should be filled by the end of the month so that they can better address students’ needs.

This is an ongoing process so please continue to leave comments…

18. Why does Mines require us to take summer field session, but refuse financial assistance?

If we are required by the school to take field sessions during the summer semester, why is it that the financial aid office "recommend you apply for a private education loan to cover your costs for the summer..."?

As a student who is personally left, after aid offered, more than $16,000 short of estimated costs of attendance every year, I get absolutely no assistance from anyone and don't have the ability to work because I spend every waking minute working toward getting reasonable grades.

As one of the many minority, underprivileged students who have to work extra hard just to…

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Either migrate from lon capa to a decent system or pay for the improvements to bring it into the 21st century.

Lon Capa is slow and hardly loads on Mines own network. Canvas is much faster and actually works.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Getting rid of sanitary product machines is not an answer.

Let me explain this to everyone. Sometimes your period starts and you were unaware of the fact that its coming. In that cast having access to sanitary products is massively important. Girl have to miss class periods some times because there period started unexpectedly and there are literally no where to get tampons.
    The percentage of women at this school is going up, and that means that the sanitary products would be going bad less often.
    Having working tampon machines at the busier buildings such as the student center, ctlm, brown, and MZ is immeasurably important. Access to sanitary products…

90 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students