Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

452 results found

1. Expand limited pronoun options on Canvas

Canvas has pronouns options. Great! However, they are extremely limited. The options available are: "ze/zir, hir/zirs, hirs;" "they/them/theirs;" "he/him/his;" and "she/her/hers." There are no other options.

This is not very good. Furthermore, this has been decided by Mines at some point; the defaults Canvas has without the list being modified is "she/her," "he/him," and "they/them" [1].

Why is this an issue? There are two major reasons. First, it does not allow for mixed pronouns. The Trevor Project's national survey shows that "nearly two-thirds of LGBTQ youth who use pronouns outside of the binary opt to use combinations of he/him, she/her,…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make Campus More Accessible

First off it would be great if buildings had better signage. It can be hard to find elevators and classrooms which can be a hardship for students with mobility problems, especially those of us who experience pain when walking. This is especially a problem in the old buildings that have new additions. It is very hard to find accessible routes to classrooms in various parts of the building.
    Second, have functioning elevators in buildings. The elevator in Marquez has been down since around Thanksgiving 2021. There is only 1 elevator in Marquez so students with mobility problems cannot access their…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Gym Membership Isn't Included in Part Time tuition

Hello,
    I was shocked to find out that my part time undergraduate tuition didn't cover the gym fee, and I think it is discriminatory to students who cannot take full credit hours due to financial hardships, or personal reasons. If I were to pay for a full set of credit hours and then drop some mid-semester, I would be able to go to the gym with out paying the fee. I don't think Mines should be so prejudiced towards students who take full credit hours because they will be paying the same amount over time by the time they are…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Hybrid classes for the beginning of the SP22 semester

With the increase of COVID cases in CO and across the country, I feel it would be wise to have hybrid courses for the beginning of the year. I think this would allow students to get properly tested before returning to in-person classes while allowing those who have been exposed or are COVID positive the ability to attend classes without falling behind.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Remote Lecture Access

With the increased rate of transmission of the Omicron variant and its ability to infect people who are fully vaccinated, it seems increasingly likely that we will have large outbreaks on campus. With this in mind, I believe that Mines should return to requiring remote access for lectures over Zoom, at least while this variant is producing record numbers of cases daily.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Concerns about vaccination mandates

To whom it may concern:

I understand that the government restrictions related to the pandemic have upended the lives of many. I also understand that many people have died from the complications related to the novel coronavirus. However, the harms of a vaccine mandate are far greater than the benefits at this time. I do not consider myself anti-science or anti-vaccination as a whole but these are my major objections against requiring any non-FDA approved vaccine:

1. The vaccine has not been approved by the FDA. It had only been emergency authorized. With a vaccine mandate, you will be requiring people…
    16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  COVID  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Blastercard access during non-business hours

When I was a freshman, we had Bastercard access to get into public buildings on campus after hours. Mines called itself an open campus at the time because of this. It was great because we could study at the school during weekends and use the rooms to meet with friends after homework or activities.
    Now, it's a hit or miss on getting into buildings because there's no Blastercard access and you need to find a door that's been propped open. Let us access the buildings after hours again!

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Policy to prohibit assignments due on exam days

As the title says, classes should be prohibited from having assignments due the same day an exam for the same class is scheduled. There is no reason to created added stress and workload on top of studying if it's within the control of the instructor. The day after isn't much to ask.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bring back Zime meal exchange options

As a first year student living on campus, there are not many dining opportunities in general. You've got charred chicken at Qdoba, mystery meat at wow cafe, mines market, and now, zime. And if its a weekend, all you've got only mines market operating on limited hours, so tough luck if you want to do something before 9 AM.

Of all those, I found zime to be the only thing I could consistently choke down, and it made for a great place for a lunch break with plenty of room to study at the tables. Now the school wants to…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Transition from Google to Microsoft

As an avid Google user, I do not appreciate that the school is transitioning away from gmail and the other google products. Especially since the microsoft replacement for those products do not have the same features, mainly the ease of collaboration. I wish they had asked the students and faculty before deciding to switch as I know there are a lot us that depend on google. This is especially the case for those of us with chromebooks as they are only compatible with google products. It is my belief that we should transition fully google.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Civils taking dynamics

Can we revamp the civil engineering curriculum to not include dynamics? Dynamics is listed as a mechanical engineering class. It doesn't make sense to have civils in there. 90% of the curriculum does not pertain to civil engineers as it focuses on velocity, rotation gears and collars all which move. Civil engineers deal with things that are stationary. The only reason i've heard civils have to take it is for vibration, however that could easily be incoporated into another class as it at the end of the semester. Furthermore, it requires a significant amount of coding all of which civils…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Academics  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Why isn't Zime operating at its full potential?

I think Zime has great potential as a dining location on campus. Coming into this year, I was expecting it to be revamped with a broader menu and indoor seating after having conversations with the workers there. Unfortunately, my expectation was not met at all. After a conversation today with one of the workers, I learned that the lack of improvements is in the school's hands. Zime has enough seating furniture to open at least half of the dining area, but I was told by the employee that the school wouldn't allow it. I was also told their lack of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Disallow incoming freshmen (Fall 2020) living on-campus to purchase parking permits

This year, Mines is waiving the requirement for freshmen to live on-campus. Therefore, it's understandable to allow freshmen who choose to live off-campus to have parking permits.

However, as confirmed with an email I've attached below, freshmen living on-campus will be allowed to purchase parking permits. As everyone knows, the parking situation at Mines is than optimal. The number of commuters, freshmen and returning students, will certainly increase this upcoming school year (especially with reduced dorm capacity). Sufficient parking space is an absolute necessity.

Allowing on-campus freshmen to occupy parking spaces indefinitely throughout the school year defeats the purpose of…

136 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Snooze button needed for course evaluation/survey reminders

It's that time of year again, when students are being asked to fill out course evaluations. To me, it's a very important chance to provide anonymous feedback to both the professors and to the university. I take it very seriously, and provide thoughtful feedback on all of my courses. Thoughtful feedback takes time and headspace to do, so when I get a reminder to fill out course evaluations every time I go to the Canvas homepage AND every time I click on one of my courses, it's frustrating! To me, it's the university saying "5 out of 5, as always?…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Separate the CEE Department

I understand that civil and environmental engineers have a lot of overlapping classes; however, the CEE department largely focuses on providing job opportunities, support, and emphasis on the civil engineers only. At job fairs, civil and environmental are put together which results in environmentals thinking that certain companies want us, when really all they want are civils. If the environmentals were actually treated by the school like our own major, it would help with the career fairs and job search tremendously.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Motion Lab Hours

Would love for the motion lab in spruce to have better hours. It's only open weekdays from 11-8, which seem pretty short especially considering how busy the rec center is.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Give commuters another lot on campus until covid testing is done!

Currently the covid testing is taking up all of A lot and some of F lot. Given commuters already have limited places to park, we should be given access to another lot on campus. I lot by CTLM never has more than 10 cars in it and would be helpful for commuter students in finding parking.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please don’t shut down Blaster’s Brew and Marlene!

If you’ve ever walked through Brown building you’ve probably seen Marlene serving up some delicious coffee and taking care of her students at Blaster’s Brew. As of this week they will be shutting down Blaster’s Brew for the foreseeable future! Please don’t! Getting coffee from Marlene in Brown building is consistently the highlight of my and many students’ days. While we understand demand has decreased, Brown building is still one of the most used buildings on campus for senior design, homework study areas, and classes. Please consider keeping it open, Marlene and Blaster’s Brew together are a staple of the…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rec Center Reservation Process Needs to Go

The new rec center reservation process is inconvenient, unnecessary, and ridiculous. The only way to get in is to reserve one of the handful of spots almost a day in advance. The rec center is the only way I usually get any exercise and I haven't been able to get a spot for the last week. Ironically, a system that was designed to help student health is not becoming detrimental to it. Please don't keep this up next semester without lowering rec center fees because no one can use it like this.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students