Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

452 results found

1. Move the Piano in Brown

I understand that this issue has already been brought up, but I feel the need to voice the opinions of not only myself, but a host of other students who study in brown. The large area for study is meant for studying. It's more than just a small distraction, I am currently on the second floor of brown and I can still hear the piano.

I understand that playing the piano may be a great de-stress activity for many students, and that's great. But doing it loudly right in front of students who are studying for difficult exams, writing reports,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The gym is almost always full.

For the gym, it is almost always full. I know that the school is expanding... ie. Elm Hall was built for a reason. Also, I understand that students can work out at any time, but even at low density hours, the gym is quite busy. Trust me, I have been to the gym during all of its hours during the school year. I would recommend building gasp another building or supplementing students with alternative places to work out.

105 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Registration Problems (JUNIOR)

I understand that registration is a stressful and very complicated, but sometimes the options are just ridiculous. For example, many freshmen tried to sign up for Chemistry 2 but were not able to get in as it filled way too fast.

Personally, I am having issues to sign up for Physics 1, which is ridiculous. Why would it be difficult to fit into a core class? Same with economics, all the seats filled up so rapidly I must wait until next semester in order to take the course.

It would be nice if some more planning was put into the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Mines Park Shuttle

With the construction going on around campus and the general traffic of 6, I think it would be beneficial if there was a shuttle that could bus Mines Park residents back and forth from campus to MP. On Career Day when there is transportation to campus, many residents use it. This would be a great fix to the parking requests made by Mines Park residents and would also be a safer way to get to class.

In addition to safety, it could also allow MP residents to be more efficient with their time by getting 10 extra minutes of homework…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Plant more trees on campus

It seems that the campus has lost a lot of trees to construction projects and other things. It would be nice if more trees were planted... help make this place more pretty and provide shade to relax in.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Lack of availability of feminine hygiene products in campus bathrooms is neglect of ~30% of the CSM population.

Most campus restrooms do not even have a feminine hygiene product dispenser, and those that do have not been stocked for months (or years). This is not a call for free hygiene products, but there should at least be availability to purchase these products in restrooms in the case of an emergency. This is a matter of hygiene, sanitation, and basic human rights. Dispensers should be installed in all restroom and should be stocked regularly.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Parking at Mines

I think that the changes made to parking at Mines have royally disordered the already broken parking system. Making the lowest CTLM lot a commuter was one of the most ridiculous things parking services could have done. I pay close to $100 dollars more for a General Permit and it gives me the ability to park 20 foot closer than a lucky commuter? And thats only on a good day when I can even find a place to park ANYWHERE. Now they tried to make things right by adding a general lot by the ROTC building by Q lot. Sweet…

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is something USG has been working on over the past few years. In the school’s 5 year plan they’re planning to construct a parking garage that would bring around 700 new spots. This is a project will take multiple years to complete and the recent price increases are going towards the construction of this parking garage. Feel free to comment below with anymore questions or concerns, come in to our Senate meetings, or come to our office hours!
    Sincerely USG!

8. Why not play Mines Internet Radio instead of the Ordigger Radio?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the new "Ordigger Radio" played it the Rec Center and in Mines Market, and was wondering why they don't play Mines Internet Radio. It seems like a fairly reliable service, is run by a school club, and would give our student DJs more exposure.

I don't know about any of the financial or logistic issues, but it seems silly to have a separate service for music in buildings when a school club could provide the same service, since I'm pretty sure MIR plays music all day, even when they don't have a student…

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Limit talking in the library computer lab

There are designated group space areas within the library and around campus. Students have very loud and open conversations, which to be fair, is often school related, but I have encountered people talking to their mothers in an outside voice.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Stop letting other departments reserve the Mining computer lab!

We didn't have a computer lab with mining software all last semester (I want my technology fee refunded) and now with a new computer lab the Registrar allows non-mining classes to reserve the lab. We routinely get kicked out by EPICS, MechE, and other classes and THIS IS THE ONLY LAB WITH THE MINING SOFTWARE THAT WE NEED! Stop letting other classes reserve our lab. It is especially frustrating when a mechanical class uses our lab and their lab upstairs is available.

218 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We need a space to have fun on campus!

One thing I've noticed about the Mines campus is that there is no place to just hang out or do things that are not school work. Most of our students are commuters, but Mines remains the central meetup spot. Most students are also on campus all day during the week. We can't just study all the time.

I propose that some sort of space is created for students to relax or have fun. This space would have comfortable seating, some sort of tv, maybe some games, and art supplies like paint or clay. The funds for this could come from…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The Language Program Should not be Cut

The LAIS department is attempting to cut all languages except Spanish. This is unfair to those of us who have already taken Spanish and wish to learn more languages and to people who just really want to learn a new language. Cutting the program also leaves multiple faculty jobless starting December 17th. Engineering is such a global and international profession that we should be given access to language programs in order to help us become more successful. Language skills are highly marketable in the job market, and it is unfair to rob students of the opportunity to expand our horizons.

402 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG worked hard last year with the LAIS language department to stop certain language classes from being cut. Unfortunately there was a lack of enrollment for some of these classes and the funding moved elsewhere in the LAIS department.

If you feel that the language program should be added to in the future, and not cut, please make a new post and get people to vote for it. USG will fight for you if you show there is a need.

-USG

13. Surcharge to Third Party Credit Card processor seems unnecessary for a school like Mines

Other Colleges seem to be able to process credit without the Third Party processing fee. Surcharges for a semester's tuition are upwards of 400$ going to the processing payment company. Seems like Mines could handle this in-house if other colleges are able to? Just my humble opinion. I'd rather see the surcharge money at least go to MINES if it were absolutely needed to offset the infrastructure accommodations to process credit cards?

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Why is Oreprint a cash only service?

I'm not sure what the justification was for Mines implementing the Ore Print system but I think its a little ridiculous that we have to buy credits on prepaid cards and only with cash. The current system makes no sense, if I need to print a 5 page paper and I come up $0.06 short for just one page and I don't have cash the only option is to trek across campus to an ATM, which may or may not have money, get the minimum $20, come back to wherever I was printing, break the $20 so I can get…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remove the required cost of the rec center

All students are required to pay a very expensive cost for the rec center but only a small fraction of us actually use the rec center. I want the option of adding it to my tuition bill so I am not wasting my precious money for tuition and books or I choose to pay for it making me more motivated to go to the gym. I find it ridiculous how much we pay for it. Especially during the summer. Make it optional!

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Wellness Center bogus

I think the Wellness Center is the only office (entire building) on campus that completely shuts down for lunch 12-1. A lot of students have a break between classes at noon so this is one of the only times we can make it to Wellness Center and the fact they're closed is pretty inconvenient, especially considering the cost we pay for this service. Adding weekend hours would be great but it seems like everything on campus is closed on the weekends so I wouldn't expect that trend to change here.

It's highly recommended that we schedule an appointment in advance…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. All of the chairs (lecture chairs with the little desks) in Berthoud 241 squeak so much that it becomes a huge distraction during exams

In Berthoud 241, where I have taken more than one exam now, the folding chairs and small desks that accompany them (which are tiny) squeak a lot more than most lecture halls do. It's hard to concentrate during a calculus test when there are 200 other people in the hall moving the desks even just a little bit, which makes them squeak. I wouldn't have said anything unless it was such a big deal. I feel like people in Cal I and II who have taken a test in there would agree with me.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:

This issue has been resolved. USG treached out to facilities and a work order 92753 was made and accomplished.

Love
    USG

The USG Sophomore Class sent out a survey about exam rooms and we received very valuable feedback on testing rooms. Berthoud 241 is one of the locations that need improvements and the Sophomore Class completely agrees with you. We are currently talking to the Registrar about changing/improving the exam rooms used in common hour exams.
    Thank you for you time!

Sincerely,
    USG

18. Exam Grading

I am tired of teachers taking an unreasonably long time to grade and return exams. According to the school-wide syllabus, "all courses must have a published, good-faith policy defining when
    homework, exams, and other graded coursework will be returned. In general most work should be returned to students within two weeks, along with suitable materials/feedback that enable students to
    understand how to improve their learning/performance".

I took an exam in one of my classes back in mid February and it has not been graded yet. Returning exams in a timely manner is important as it provides feedback to students and…

114 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE;
    We advise that you contact your teacher directly in an effort to get a timeline for when the exam will be returned. It may also be beneficial to contact the department head as they may have information for you. As far as enforcing the two week rule, it is something we have and will continue to look into.

Sincerely,
    USG

We will have our At Large to the Faculty bring this up at their next faculty meeting and keep you updated on what they say.

19. No Common Hour Exams for 300 level and Higher Courses

I propose that 300 level and higher classes should no longer have Common hour exams. I am involved in many organizations on campus and I can't tell you how many times I have had to miss a professional event that would have greatly benefited me and increased our schools reputation just because I had a test scheduled for that night.

I believe that when a student is at the point of taking 300 level classes, they should not only be focusing on schoolwork but also creating a professional life outside of classes. Having multiple common hour exams every other week…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Crosswalks on Campus

Has anyone noticed that, though the concrete on the sidewalk will dip and imply that a certain path is ideal for pedestrian crossing, there are technically zero painted cross walks on campus?

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?