What's Your Beef?

Something Mines should change...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The title of what's your beef is so negative, what about how can Mines improve or what can Mines do better?

The title of our forum is just so negative. It basically says what's f***** up about Mines. Why don't we make it more positive? For example

How can Mines improve?
    What can Mines do better?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reaching out!

USG has had What’s Your Beef for several years and the main function of it is to elicit ideas, comments, concerns, and questions from the student body that way we can address them by taking them to administration, or speaking with those who would be able to assist in those endeavors.

In pursuing an alternate name, it would still most likely draw in those ideas and comments which might be seen as negative. This is by no means what this forum should represent, but instead address matters concerning the student life on campus. We hope the name does not distract from the overall point of the service, which is to make it easier for you and everyone else to get in contact with USG.

Please feel free to reach out to us by email, stopping by our office in the Student Center, or attending Senate…

• Subway needs to be open later

Why does Subway close at 5PM now? As a student that doesn't have a meal plan and who isn't going to pay to go to Mines Market, this is a pretty big inconvenience.

20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We asked Mines dining about why Subway closes at the times it does and they responded by telling us that they monitor how many people come into Subway at a time. Since not as many people frequent Subway as the other dining locations they felt it was in the student’s best interest to close it earlier because if it was open longer and more often it would raise the overall Meal Plan costs for all of the other students. So since, it is not as frequented as other establishments it’s not open as long because it is not cost effective to keep it open for longer. If you feel strongly about this matter and are okay with potentially raising the costs, feel free to email us or come stop by our office hours!

Sincerely,
        USG

• Anyone else notice the crazy amount of dog poop on SAE's lawn?

Just an observation, but there is a lot of dog poop on SAE's lawn that you see, and sometimes smell if you are walking on that side of the road into campus. Just a suggestion to clean it up - it's been accumulating there for a while...

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Why does subway close at 4??

I don't understand why Subway closes at 4 on weekdays and isn't even open on weekends... You can't even get dinner at 4... Doesn't make sense to me.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We asked Mines dining about why Subway closes at the times it does and they responded by telling us that they monitor how many people come into Subway at a time. Since not as many people frequent Subway as the other dining locations they felt it was in the student’s best interest to close it earlier because if it was open longer and more often it would raise the overall Meal Plan costs for all of the other students. So since, it is not as frequented as other establishments it’s not open as long because it is not cost effective to keep it open for longer. If you feel strongly about this matter and are okay with potentially raising the costs, feel free to email us or come stop by our office hours!

Sincerely,
            USG

• Uniform access and software across all campus computers

CSM needs to understand the growing interdisciplinary nature of engineering. Many students take at least one elective outside their major. For example, say I am a materials science major taking a mechanical engineering course that requires Solidworks. Now, there is a computer lab in Hill Hall that doesn't have Solidworks, so if Computer Commons is booked I have to access it with the VPN. The labs in Brown have the software but without submitting a written statement to CTLM, I cannot log onto those computers. I am unsure the reason all students shouldn't have automatic log-in access to all computers…

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We looked into this and were told that the costs of having the same programs and software on all computers on campus would require a massive economic investment and thus increase the technology fee by a lot. This is why CCIT chooses to put select software in certain computer labs. However, CCIT created a list with which computer labs have specific software installed and we hope that this helps you.

http://ccit.mines.edu/CCIT-Campus-Computing-Labs

Sincerely,
              USG

• Reconfigure some of the computers on campus for taller people

There is lots of evidence to suggest that poor posture while sitting at a computer is bad for you. Your feet are supposed to be on the floor, knees at 90, back straight, elbows a 90 and the monitor should be directly in front of your eye line. When I try to use the computers in Brown, CTLM or Marquez I feel like a giant trying to ride a child bicycle. I cant stay for very long without getting serious pain in my neck and back. Would it be possible to make a few of the computers on campus set…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • fix website problems

Can't log into CANVAS except through the linked emails sent from the school and TRAILHEAD still sucks. Self-Service on trailhead is inaccessible from the main log-in. Errors are produced and students need to creatively press buttons to access the page. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Mines IT is embarrassing.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Library Hours

The library closes too early on weekends. It closes at 5pm on Saturdays and I think that's a bit ridiculous because people are trying to get homework and projects done but are interrupted by the library closing.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Limit on washers per person

Can we please get a limit on how many washers one person can use in mines park on more than on occasion I've been unable to do laundry because one person is using every washing machine in the building, it's inconsiderate and despite talking to thsee people several times they continue to do it because "it's allowed".

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • The Language Program Should be Exapanded

The language program at Mines needs to provide more languages AND provide students with the option to learn a language for more than two semesters. Currently students can only take Spanish 1 in the Fall and Spanish 2 in the Spring. Students who could not take Spanish 1 in the fall have to wait a whole year to reconsider their options...and students who want to take Spanish 3 have no option at all. In today's industry being bilingual is an asset that sets engineers apart (isn't this what Mines is all about?). The language program also NEEDS to be more…

25 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

The school’s administration believed that not enough students were taking language classes. The LAIS department decided to stop the language program and to use the budget to improve current liberal arts classes and create new ones. The most common option now is to take language classes at Red Rocks community college and transfer earned credits to Mines.

Sincerely,
                        USG

• Move the Brown Piano

This has already been brought up but if the Brown Piano is distracting to half of the students it should be moved. The Brown study area should be conducive to all students and it is not even played all the time for those who like it anyways.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

USG has talked extensively with administrators in Brown as well as with students in the space. We have found that administrators want to keep it where it is. Students on the other hand either like it or if they do not like it, use have a pair of headphones. If you are annoyed while working in Brown there are several other quieter places on campus in which to study.

Love,
                          USG

• All of my classes are on different websites this semester...

All of my classes are on different website this semester. One is blackboard, one is canvas, and two are on course specific inside mines websites. Last semester I dealt with similar issues as well, including piazza. It is very annoying and inconveinent to have to check 4 different websites every day to check for homework, slides, and updates. I understand that canvas is being rolled out this semester, but it is incredibly annoying to have classes spread over many different websites.

28 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

This has always been teacher discretion. Teachers use the websites that help them teach best. As for Canvas/Blackboard, next semester there will be no Blackboard and every class will move to Canvas. Canvas also has a feature where you can use other websites such as Piazza within Canvas without leaving the page. Hopefully this will address concerns.

Sincerely
                            USG

• Remove the required cost of the rec center

All students are required to pay a very expensive cost for the rec center but only a small fraction of us actually use the rec center. I want the option of adding it to my tuition bill so I am not wasting my precious money for tuition and books or I choose to pay for it making me more motivated to go to the gym. I find it ridiculous how much we pay for it. Especially during the summer. Make it optional!

17 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • The Language Program Should not be Cut

The LAIS department is attempting to cut all languages except Spanish. This is unfair to those of us who have already taken Spanish and wish to learn more languages and to people who just really want to learn a new language. Cutting the program also leaves multiple faculty jobless starting December 17th. Engineering is such a global and international profession that we should be given access to language programs in order to help us become more successful. Language skills are highly marketable in the job market, and it is unfair to rob students of the opportunity to expand our horizons.

399 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

USG worked hard last year with the LAIS language department to stop certain language classes from being cut. Unfortunately there was a lack of enrollment for some of these classes and the funding moved elsewhere in the LAIS department.

If you feel that the language program should be added to in the future, and not cut, please make a new post and get people to vote for it. USG will fight for you if you show there is a need.

-USG

• Fix the damper pedal on the slate piano or move the BB piano to slate.

Slate is a great common area to play piano, but the piano is in awful shape. Brown Building has a really nice piano, but it's in a study area so people get angry if you play it.

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
                                  After speaking with the Brown building manager it was decided that the piano is staying in Brown.

Sincerely,
                                  USG

There was a tuner working on the piano on the 17th of September. The facilities people will be notified that there is a problem with the pedal. The idea of moving the pianos are also under serious consideration and the logistics have making that happen are being looked into.

Viewed and will be brought up at the USG meeting on September 18, 2014 at 6:00PM.

• Adjunct Faculty

I have only heard rumors, but I have heard the administration is contemplating removing all adjunct professor positions. This is disheartening to me; I feel they bring invaluable experience from the industry that professors in academia do not have. I feel the adjuncts' knowledge and experience are essential to our education and would hate to see them go.

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add Youtube services to mymail accounts

My professor posts youtube videos as a supplement to lecture and encourages us to post discussion in the comments. The youtube service is not allowed through the mymail account system. It would be nice if CCIT would enable this for all students.

27 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Exam Grading

I am tired of teachers taking an unreasonably long time to grade and return exams. According to the school-wide syllabus, "all courses must have a published, good-faith policy defining when
                                      homework, exams, and other graded coursework will be returned. In general most work should be returned to students within two weeks, along with suitable materials/feedback that enable students to
                                      understand how to improve their learning/performance".

I took an exam in one of my classes back in mid February and it has not been graded yet. Returning exams in a timely manner is important as it provides feedback to students and…

111 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE;
                                        We advise that you contact your teacher directly in an effort to get a timeline for when the exam will be returned. It may also be beneficial to contact the department head as they may have information for you. As far as enforcing the two week rule, it is something we have and will continue to look into.

Sincerely,
                                        USG

We will have our At Large to the Faculty bring this up at their next faculty meeting and keep you updated on what they say.

• Don't get rid of Blackboard!

Okay, I know what you're thinking. "Blackboard sucks. It's always down. It's buggy. I hate it. Why should we keep it?" But hear me out.

As annoying as it can be at times, Blackboard is free and easy to use. Switching to another system would mean that students and faculty would have to learn yet another online platform (on top of Sapling, Mastering, LON-CAPA, and a myriad of others). And that system is going to have its own issues. It's not like server crashes are unique to Blackboard. CCIT would also have to get used to maintaining and dealing with…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

As you probably saw in an email earlier this week, the school is officially moving to Canvas software. This change was decided by a committee that included students and various other perspectives on campus. The schools contract with Blackboard is up at the end of the year and the alternative decided was canvas.

The system has an app and connects to more services than blackboard, such as google drive and others. Overall change is hard but the software seems to be better than blackboard.

-USG

• 9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

The sophomore class is taking this up as a project. If you want to communicate with them they have office hours from 4-6pm on Mondays!

UPDATE
                                            USG talked to Sam Crispin the director of facilities management at Mines. He says there are no plans to put bike racks in front of brown because the racks by the south side of Berthoud are never full and they are right across the street from Brown.

If you disagree with this, please comment or make a new post with updated information.

-USG

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

What's Your Beef?

Feedback and Knowledge Base