What's Your Beef?

Something Mines should change...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Non-Varsity Use of the McKee Weightroom in Volk Gymnasium

As it stands currently, the McKee Weight room is allowed only to Varsity athletes, but I feel that due to the amount of fees that each individual student is paying the McKee weight room should be open to reservation by student organizations. As it stands right now the Rec Center is always packed, and a group of students who wish to lift together are completely out of luck when it comes to using the free weights/bars if they want to and being able to get out of the gym in under 2 hours.

My proposal is as follows:
    Allow students…

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voicing your opinion on this matter. We agree that the SRC has had a large increase in usage to correspond with an increased enrollment at Mines. This in turn has overcrowded the Rec. gym at peak hours. Allowing club sports, ROTC, and other student groups to use the McKee weight room would decrease the strain on the SRC.
      Last semester your Junior class representatives began working on a solution to this issue and come up with a similar idea to the one posted. There are a handful of problems that must be addressed for this to happen. Scheduling around Varsity sports, supervision of users, implementation of a portal, and administrative approval are few.
      Unfortunately, these problems take time to overcome. In the short-term we will contact the SRC staff to see about maximizing the usable space in the gym and increasing students access to workout…

• The SRC Hours

Physical wellness is extremely important for students for academic and emotional success. Most students have classes all day and need to de-stress after finishing their homework late at night. With the SRC closing so early, many have to resort to running around the streets at late hours such as 12am which can be extremely hazardous. So, could the SRC hours be changed to as late as the library hours (2am) or even 24hrs during the week? Certain areas, such as rock climbing or the pool which may be viewed as needing an SRC worker to be there could be closed…

225 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand and agree that physical wellness is very important for student success here at Mines. This is one of the reasons we offer students the chances to take specialized PA classes. We have one of our representative classes looking over this suggestion so stay tuned for updates. Please note however that later SRC hours could result in higher student fees as well as later shifts for our own working students.

• Counseling Resources

Two friends of mine recently went to the counseling center. One was immediately given referrals elsewhere. The other was seen for about twenty minutes and was then done because he wasn't "in a state of crisis". Our counseling center does not have the resources it should have! They don't have the capability to see students regularly unless they are in crisis, but so many students are left without help because of this, and they end up becoming those students in crisis because they didn't get help sooner. Any time a person makes an appointment, they are actively trying to better…

14 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • The gym hours

The gym should be available to students 24 hours due to the intense schedules we have. Being able to work out at night would be convenient and allow students to relieve stress (in a less crowded environment). If this is not possible under current conditions, students should be allowed to purchase 24 hour memberships and be required to swipe into the building after hours.

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Physical wellness is very important for student success here at Mines.. We have one of our representative classes looking over this suggestion so stay tuned for updates. Please note however that later SRC hours could result in higher student fees as well as later shifts for our own working students. The SRC under its current management and agreements with the school cannot allow students to workout without having staff present. So extended hours would mean students would have to take night shifts.

• The gym is almost always full.

For the gym, it is almost always full. I know that the school is expanding... ie. Elm Hall was built for a reason. Also, I understand that students can work out at any time, but even at low density hours, the gym is quite busy. Trust me, I have been to the gym during all of its hours during the school year. I would recommend building *gasp* another building or supplementing students with alternative places to work out.

88 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Clean or replace keyboards and mice in CTLM Commons

After many years of use, the keyboards in the CTLM Commons are looking pretty disgusting. If they can have a deep clean to look nice again or, if it's more cost effective, replace the keyboards and mice. It also can cause ergonomic issues (and general frustration) since not all of the keys on some keyboards function properly, requiring hard presses to move or not registering keystrokes with lighter presses. And, based on prior experience, it looks like the build up on the surfaces (and under the keys) aren't entirely due to food, but mostly due to sweaty engineers working hard.…

24 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Extended time past just the first day of school to fill out Minor/ASI Form

The registrar currently makes it so that you must have new Minor/ASI forms due 1/10, which is the first day of school. They will not give an extension or anything. If you do not turn your form in on that day (which again, the first day of school), your minor/asi will not be counted. This is ridiculous. I believe this should be changed to be census day. It is difficult to get ahold of your department head, your advisor, and your minor department head all on the same day to sign the form. This is exceptionally ridiculous as students often…

28 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Why not play Mines Internet Radio instead of the Ordigger Radio?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the new "Ordigger Radio" played it the Rec Center and in Mines Market, and was wondering why they don't play Mines Internet Radio. It seems like a fairly reliable service, is run by a school club, and would give our student DJs more exposure.

I don't know about any of the financial or logistic issues, but it seems silly to have a separate service for music in buildings when a school club could provide the same service, since I'm pretty sure MIR plays music all day, even when they don't have a student…

41 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Get daycare on campus!

It's hard to be a student here with a family, and this one change would help a lot.

20 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Surcharge to Third Party Credit Card processor seems unnecessary for a school like Mines

Other Colleges seem to be able to process credit without the Third Party processing fee. Surcharges for a semester's tuition are upwards of 400$ going to the processing payment company. Seems like Mines could handle this in-house if other colleges are able to? Just my humble opinion. I'd rather see the surcharge money at least go to MINES if it were absolutely needed to offset the infrastructure accommodations to process credit cards?

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • There should be a way to monitor inactivity in common computer labs

It seems unfair that people are allowed to leave a computer for more than thirty minutes but stay logged on. Many times I have tried to work in the ctlm computer labs, which itself is a hot commodity I know, and people have left their belongings at a computer but are nowhere in site.

On another note I have sat in ctlm for over an hour with no one next to me. Then when a friend or random person goes to sit down, another person is still logged in to the computer when no others are available. This can create…

17 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • No Common Hour Exams for 300 level and Higher Courses

I propose that 300 level and higher classes should no longer have Common hour exams. I am involved in many organizations on campus and I can't tell you how many times I have had to miss a professional event that would have greatly benefited me and increased our schools reputation just because I had a test scheduled for that night.

I believe that when a student is at the point of taking 300 level classes, they should not only be focusing on schoolwork but also creating a professional life outside of classes. Having multiple common hour exams every other week…

48 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Flowers around campus

Just because we live in the Rockies doesn't give us an excuse to have an ugly campus. The landscaping around campus is pretty dismal if you ask me, besides in front of Guggenheim there is no real color around campus. All we have are those ugly "everbrown" plants in front of some buildings. I know Colorado has 4 seasons, but the campus always looks dull. I know Mines markets itself on its reputation, but the visual appeal of our campus does nothing to attract potential students if you ask me.

In terms of what could be done, a little goes…

22 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • CTLM Lady supplies

Okay, so this one is a complaint from any girl that has used the CTLM restroom. The napkins and tampons machines require quarters... But quarters won't fit in the slot! There's a plastic extrusion on all the machines that won't allow for a quarter to be deposited. I get the feeling that the machines just weren't installed correctly.

20 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • The intellectual property policy is an unfair to students.

Improvements could be made by removing the "has bearing on a class the student is currently taking" clause, which is ambiguous and would be easy for the school to exploit in nearly every case; adding an exemption to claims on IP developed using any "school resources" for the campus internet, to which all students have alternatives, but the use of which is certainly convenient; and removing the burden of proof from the student as far as school resource use is concerned.

Also, it seems a little silly to claim all IP developed by ALL school employees, RA's and janitors included.

51 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Don't see your idea?

What's Your Beef?

Feedback and Knowledge Base