Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Pedestrian crosswalks on Washington Street

Crosswalks on 17th and Washington and 18th and Washington.

The terrain, confusion, and volume of traffic make those intersections unsafe for cars and pedestrians.

That area is on top of a hill, so oncoming traffic doesn't see pedestrians until the last minute.
    Also, parked cars block the pedestrian from view until they are already ten feet into crossing the street.

We are relying on hesitated gesture exchange between cars and pedestrians instead of crosswalks to keep people safe.

Those intersections are key campus access points which many students use when traveling by car or foot.

17th and Washington is statistically…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. New Streaming Device for on campus housing

The email regarding the new streaming TV service says that we can live stream TV from any device including our TV "at no extra cost", but to watch it through our TV, we have to buy a Roku device. That's not "at no extra cost". That is an additional cost. I do not think it's fair that I have to pay extra to watch sports on my TV when I was informed that this would be free and that it did not cost extra in the past. Mines should pay for Rokus otherwise their email is false. There also is…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. update the mines.edu website

i think it's time to update or even better, change our mines.edu website. while other university's webs are going through some redesign, mines.edu remains the same year after year. The photos are old, some typos, not user-friendly, using "google search" to find something in mines.edu most of the time works much better than using the "search" of mines.edu itself. Our current school website does not really represent anything of the top school in the country.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. (Lack of) Ping Pong Tables

The Rec Center Ping Pong table is always in use. I try to practice with my friend but it is often full or someone is waiting for us to finish. Also sometimes the room is reserved for cycling or other events. I believe there should be more than 1 table as 1 table does not sustain the demand for the use of the table.

Thanks USG!

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. There are not enough HASS classes for students to meet the requirement

Mines requires 3 humanities classes, but halfway through the second day of registration every single class other than NHV and Global Studies is full. How are students supposed to meet this requirement if only a handful of classes are offered with 30 seats each?

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Overfilling Classrooms Beyond Number of Seats/Fire Capacity

For the past 3 years classes have been filled above fire capacity. If it was 1 or 2 students this would be fine, but I've been in classes with around 10 (or more) extra people in them. It's frustrating to pay thousands of dollars to not be even guaranteed a seat in class. You have to fight to get a seat, and this is happening in everything from large lectures to classes in COMPUTER LABS. Professors are letting countless students blue slip in because they don't want to block their graduation schedule (as they should), but there is no support…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow students to use outdoor facilties year round, don't lock us out!

Graduate students and summer school students usually spend all summer at campus and continue to pay rec fees. However, we are banned from going on the fields or even using the tennis courts. I have even contacted John Howard about using the tennis courts and was told to fill out forms to reserve the courts. Upon filling out the forms he then told me the courts were closed due to safety reasons. This was obviously just an excuse for him to not do his jobs. I have also tried to reserve fields in the past for flag football games during…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG talked with Rob Thompson, the director of REC sports and John Howard about this issue. Apparently, there is a new online facility request system. John assures that this system will help students connect to outdoor facilities in an easier way.

Also, the tennis courts are planned to have extensive repairs this spring/summer.

-USG

UPDATE

That new online facility reques website is: events.mines.edu

-USG

8. Homework Platforms

Stop making us pay for individuals pay 65$ for each course to do our homework. I am willing to do all of the hard work but $180 dollars to do my homework, on two different platforms which suck (I have had to go to customer service once for Sapling and twice for Pearson with which I spent 2 hours on hold total). They dont work and the campus obviously doesn't care about low income students who never got the opportunity of a scholarship. I work just as hard but I shouldn't fail a course because I can't afford to pay…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Mines Park Noise from US-6 Rumble Strips

City of Golden (CG) completed the US-6 and 19th intersection around the beginning of Fall 2017. When summer hit and we had to open our windows (no ac in our unit) we've realized that the rumble strips were creating excessive noise. Causing us to lose sleep in the night and forcing us to choose between living in a very hot or a very noisy unit in the morning.
    We've contacted CG and CDOT at the beginning of Fall 2018 so the issue can be remedied before summer. Apparently other residents in the area were suffering from the noise as well.…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. USG Deleting "What's Your Beef" Posts without Adressing Them

A post was recently made here expressing student frustration at the slow pace the administration is taking to address serious student issues such as parking and mental health. It quickly received a lot of votes, but suddenly disappeared. Considering that there are several inappropriate and joke posts that have been here for ages, this seems suspect. If something about the post was deemed to be inappropriate, I understand, but that should have been voiced. Instead, the post was silently deleted.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can assure you, the post was not removed by USG through this account. It appears that it was marked as spam and removed by another user. We share the same concern for the deletion of the post. We will be looking into this more as well.

Also, in regards to the last post, we have begun talks with administration in regards to the post and will keep students informed on our findings.

We apologize for the deletion and will be looking into it immediately!

-USG

11. The Language Program Should be Exapanded

The language program at Mines needs to provide more languages AND provide students with the option to learn a language for more than two semesters. Currently students can only take Spanish 1 in the Fall and Spanish 2 in the Spring. Students who could not take Spanish 1 in the fall have to wait a whole year to reconsider their options...and students who want to take Spanish 3 have no option at all. In today's industry being bilingual is an asset that sets engineers apart (isn't this what Mines is all about?). The language program also NEEDS to be more…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The school’s administration believed that not enough students were taking language classes. The LAIS department decided to stop the language program and to use the budget to improve current liberal arts classes and create new ones. The most common option now is to take language classes at Red Rocks community college and transfer earned credits to Mines.

Sincerely,
    USG

12. Online Assignment Cost

I do not believe that we should have to pay for online assignments in classes where it isn't included with a textbook. How it normally works; a student pays tuition, a professors assigns homework, a TA grades the work, the TA is paid by the school. Because online homework is automatically graded, the cost for the online resources should come from the money that they aren't paying TAs, not out of our pocket on top of tuition.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Parking ticket even when paid for parking????

So my friend paid for hourly parking on campus recently. He got a ticket even though he was very sure that he still had time left from when he paid for the parking. He called parking services and got the timestamps for everything. He received the ticket 10 min before his parking expired which means that they tried to charge him even if he ALREADY PAID for the parking. When he tried to contest the ticket they said the only thing they could do was reduce it to a warning. This is ridiculous a warning for what? Paying for parking??…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. There is not enough space on Campus

This campus has been too small for the undergraduate class since I came to Mines in 2020. The gym is too small and you will spend much more time waiting for machines and weights to free up than actually working out. I live 5 minutes off campus and yet if I don't leave 30+ minutes early I will be late for class because I have to drive across the entire campus looking for a single open parking spot. There are multiple restaurants on campus that have just been closed since my Freshman year with no reasons given causing lines and…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Parking Garage

We all know parking sucks and of course they're constantly looking into ways to make it more affordable and better for all. The fact is, though, the school is growing. Band-aids aren't going to fix the problem but provide only a little relief. We need to move up! Into the sky! We are running out of space. Use an existing parking lot and turn it into 3, 4, or even 5 different parking lots!! And, if you do it in the right place, it won't obstruct anyone's lovely views of the mountains. We go to an engineering school. Let some…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

A parking garage will not happen in the near future. There are more spots than there are passholders. Much of the parking just isn’t centralized, like Q lot and Ford lot, and people don’t want to walk from that far away. Even if a parking garage was going to go up it would be in one of these locations, so people would still have to walk from those ends of campus. Also it’s extremely expensive, thousands of dollars per spot, and the school does not have the money.

16. The Proposed Common Hour Exam Change

I believe that the proposed common hour exam change to one per night has some logistical issues. Wednesday night classes such as McBride would be interrupted by these exams. What happens when someone has class and an exam scheduled at the same time? This includes the late night EPICS classes that are offered to freshman. Also, many organizations make their meetings on either Monday or Wednesday nights in order to avoid conflict with Common Hour exams.

I think that most of the problems with having two exams on the same night could be resolved with a better awareness of scheduling.…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: First, all of these complaints were brought up in detail at several of our USG meetings. We are trying to make the exams at 7:30 so that the evening classes wouldn’t be very interrupted. The exception would be the 6pm to 9pm classes. Overall, it was decided that the benefit of moving exams to four nights a week outweighed the costs. There was a committee formed with students, faculty, and staff to move forward with the proposed common hour exam change. They voted in favor of the change. We will be sure to communicate the progress to the student body, so please comment on our page if you have any suggestions in the future!

17. Whats the MAC Budget?

So, I realize that the total MAC budget is available but I think it would be valuable to see how that money is split up and used for all the activities they put on. Not only is out our money that they are spending and we should know what they do with it, but it would be interesting to see how much they spend on E-Days, movie nights, etc and thus give more people outside of MAC some info and say into what they do.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mines park Residents should be allowed to use the gym facilities during summer.

It seems quite odd that Mines park residents aren't allowed to use the gym facilities during summer. During summer its not as though I'm going anywhere like the general student population since I live on campus, and I'm paying rent which typically includes prices for other basic services. When one lives in a condominium with gym or swimming pool, those are typically part of the package and its seems like it would be common sense to apply in this situation as well.

I can't imagine that there is a large percentage of residents who would really use benefit so it…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Clean or replace keyboards and mice in CTLM Commons

After many years of use, the keyboards in the CTLM Commons are looking pretty disgusting. If they can have a deep clean to look nice again or, if it's more cost effective, replace the keyboards and mice. It also can cause ergonomic issues (and general frustration) since not all of the keys on some keyboards function properly, requiring hard presses to move or not registering keystrokes with lighter presses. And, based on prior experience, it looks like the build up on the surfaces (and under the keys) aren't entirely due to food, but mostly due to sweaty engineers working hard.…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Clinic Parking

There should be a place to park when visiting the clinic. When you're sick and near death, you don't feel like walking to the clinic, especially coming from Mines Park or other remote places on campus. Maybe a temporary hanging tag so we could park in front of Weaver?

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students