Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Mines International Office should not move to the Green Center (when it Re-Opens)

With all of the re-organization on campus, it has come to my attention that the Mines International Office will be moving to the Green Center when the building re-opens. I am a student employee in the office, so I know how important it is to have the office in a convenient spot to serve the Mines community. (For reference, it is currently in the student center)
    I think that moving the office is an absurd idea. I know that office space is tight on this campus, but the International Office (IO) is a crucial spot for international students to deal…

156 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Mines is NOT ADA accessible

I broke my foot last week and getting around campus has been hell. I have heard Maple Hall is welcoming a couple ADA residents next semester, and I worry for their safety and ability to get around campus. For one, the automatic door buttons for the front entrance of Alderson don’t work, and many other doors simply don’t have them. I have to wait for somebody kind enough to hold the door open or risk injuring myself further. I’ve just heard the elevator in the student center will be shut down over spring break, so if I want to eat…

126 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for pointing out these issues to us! We have begun contacting administration to address the lack of accessibility and to see what they are doing to fix automatic doors that are not working. Would a focus group to identify the specific needs and areas lacking be of interest to you? That may be a next step to identify areas on campus lacking in accessibility. Please contact us at minesusg@gmail.com if you would be interested in taking part in this discussion!

3. FRESHMAN HAVE COMMUTER PASSES AND NOW ALL LOTS ARE FULL BY 10 AM!!!

I am beyond pissed about this. We already had shitty parking. You already took away a whole fucking lot for christ's sake. Now, somebody decided that the freshman should have access to commuter passes. This clearly was not well thought out. This new freshman class is one of the largest, and the fucking live on campus so they leave their fucking cars in the lot. HALF THE SPOTS ARE TAKEN BY THE TIME I GO TO BED AT NIGHT! What the fuck? Who the fuck do I start a jihad against. I didn't pay $130 to get parking tickets everyday.…

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Sodexo

Talking to many students here on campus I believe that Mines should look into a different food provider. I believe that it will not be easy and that Mines is probably in a contract with them. But after hearing many complains and not enjoying the food I believe that there is a strong support in possibly changing the food source. Or better options I sometimes see that they are making food for events and that looks very different from what is at Mines Market.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Overfilling Classrooms Beyond Number of Seats/Fire Capacity

For the past 3 years classes have been filled above fire capacity. If it was 1 or 2 students this would be fine, but I've been in classes with around 10 (or more) extra people in them. It's frustrating to pay thousands of dollars to not be even guaranteed a seat in class. You have to fight to get a seat, and this is happening in everything from large lectures to classes in COMPUTER LABS. Professors are letting countless students blue slip in because they don't want to block their graduation schedule (as they should), but there is no support…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make Existing Parking More Efficient

Engineers like efficiency. So, while we're waiting for the new parking garage, here are some ideas to help with parking:

1) Put lines on streets like Illinois to guide parking (like there are in CT Lot for the paid parking spots). This wouldn't cost a lot and would make parking more manageable.

2) Don't charge faculty more for faculty parking spaces. Even at the worst parking hours, the faculty spaces in places like CT Lot aren't full. This would mean faculty would park in these empty spots, making more spots available for students and easier parking for all.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Only give athletes priority registration for required/core classes

Many HASS classes this semester were full or close to full before undergraduate registration even opened. It is not fair to students who happen to not play sports to never have a chance at certain classes because they are completely full before anyone can register. Registration is often difficult for many students every semester at Mines but we are often told that you just need to wait until you are a senior and then you can have the pick of the classes that you want. Even seniors have a paltry list left to them before their registration ever starts.

97 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Meal Plans and Munch Money

I think there should be an option to add Munch Money to your Blaster card. I don't want to purchase a full meal plan but munch money is incredibly convenient and could help speed up the lines in the Periodic Table.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Buildings with computer labs should have general blaster card access

... at least one door.
    It is notably inconvenient when leaving a building at night for a short beak and being locked out with my belongings still there. Given that a significant amount of students are awake past 7pm, allowing more accessibility would be widely beneficial.
    I have no research to back this up, but this ain’t no liberal arts college where we can afford to just frollick around for more than an hour.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Mines Market

Mines Market should have more fruit including fresh berries instead of just apples and bananas.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. New parking meters, bring back the 1/2 hour!

When Mines put in the new parking meters this year, it had the option to pay by hours and minutes, so you could pay for 2 hours and 34 minutes for instance. Now, they've taken away that option so that you can only pay by the hour again. It's bad enough that we're screwed for parking availability and cost in the first place, why would they purposefully limit the meters to only hour intervals to rip us for more money? The least they could do is have half hour intervals. It is unjust that they would purposefully remove that feature…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. BlasterCard Access to Greek Houses Over Winter Break

I have a HUGE problem with the plan to have Greek houses closed over winter break. It’s unrealistic to assume every student living in Greek housing will not be here over break, and for those of us who are planning to stay in Golden, are we supposed to just stay here and be homeless for a few weeks? The FSL Coordinator (and whoever else is in on this idea) cannot seriously expect any students staying in Golden to have another place to live for just a few weeks. I know a few students who will be working and several who…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. On Campus Leopard Gecko Storage

Hello everyone, I would like to propose leopard gecko storage on campus. Currently I don't have a place to store my gecko Lizzie during class and it would be nice to visit her during passing periods. Somewhere like the library would be ideal. People could look at her, but please don't tap the glass, she is shy. There would also need to be cricket storage nearby, as I just got a large shipment of crickets in the mail and Lizzie needs to eat those little hoppers!! She is very pretty and I think others would benefit from the storage as…

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Get Ubuntu Computers on Campus

Currently there are only Arch Linux OS for Linux-based OS. Ubuntu use to be in Chauvenet but they got rid of it. I can't complete a project because I need Ubuntu-based OS and not just Arch Linux

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Test of high vote account

See how quickly I can get this upvoted by multiple proxy accounts. Enjoy!

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Cancel School when the weather is dangerous

As a commuter student I was barely able to get in to school today with the inclement weather and terrible roads, and I have a relatively easy commute compared to some others. Even after the roads parking lots on campus were an icy nightmare followed by sliding down sidewalks on the walk to class. If the administration cancelled class, or even gave a late start, we all could've avoided that purgatory

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. What is the point of Trailhead?

Seriously, what is the point of having a web "portal" if I have to log into EVERY. SINGLE. INDIVIDUAL. WEBSITE.?!? It would be interesting to calculate how much time is collectively lost by students and staff having to perform all of these redundant logins. When I use a web portal, I expect to only have to login ONCE and then have the portal carry my credentials over to whatever site I link to from the portal.

Also, why is there no direct link to OrePrint on Trailhead?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. There aren't enough study areas

Simply put, there aren't enough free tables to study at.

As a student who lives off campus I don't have the luxury of returning to my dorm room to study if all the common areas are full. Some days I'll walk from brown hall, to the library, then coorstek, and finally marquez and have difficulty finding a spot to simply sit down and do work.

This isn't a complaint about the private study rooms. I'd simply like a table to put my laptop and papers on to work between classes.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Q lot is now General Parking (but no new Commuter parking!)

Changing the Q lot to General Parking makes no sense unless the objective is to force more people to buy more expensive General Parking permits. Commuter lots are already full during peak hours (see "Stop giving commuter pass holders parking tickets..."). General parking permit holders can park in commuter lots if General parking is full, but now it is assured that Commuter pass holders will be forced to the K lot or off campus.

CHANGE IT BACK until the parking garage is finished, or tell us where to park when everything is full.

201 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students