Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Rec Center Reservation Process Needs to Go

The new rec center reservation process is inconvenient, unnecessary, and ridiculous. The only way to get in is to reserve one of the handful of spots almost a day in advance. The rec center is the only way I usually get any exercise and I haven't been able to get a spot for the last week. Ironically, a system that was designed to help student health is not becoming detrimental to it. Please don't keep this up next semester without lowering rec center fees because no one can use it like this.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Fall 2020 Pass/No Pass option

http://chng.it/255GsKgzDD

In light of the transition to a new and unfamiliar course delivery method for a normally in-person university, there should be a pass/no pass option for students and their classes.

Online classes present a challenge to STEM students because of the need for hands-on learning which has been sparse even in "hybrid" style classes. It has been evident that students struggle to uphold the same level of comprehension, and professors find it difficult to provide the same level of teaching in this enviornment.

Giving students this option will allow for more peace of mind when dealing with unforeseen circumstances…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Undergraduates Not Allowed Take-Home Exams

We have all probably been told by our Professors that they are not allowed to administers take-home exams to undergraduate students. The complete wording is as follows: "Final exams for undergrads should not be take-homes where they have a week to take it. Instructors should stick to their allotted 2 hours and should administer during or close to their scheduled times. We don’t want students to have multiple take homes where faculty expect them to spend 10+ hours on each." Never have I had an exam that has taken me 10+ hours, if anything these take homes take 1 hour…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Online Tuition Unchanged

Summer I classes are going to be online, and the school is not lowering the tuition. This seems unreasonable since we are not getting the same instruction and experiences that the Mines tuition usually covers. Remote learning is nowhere near as beneficial as in-person instruction. While Mines is doing the right thing by still offering classes online given the situation, they should do so fairly.
    The school should lower tuition for the online courses to more accurately cover the education we will be receiving.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The gym is too small (new dorm, covid-19, mental health)

The Mines gym is not large enough to accommodate peak hours. After many students are done with classes around 3 pm the gym is packed until around 7 pm. Although there are some times when there are very few people there, most Orediggers have to workout during this extremely busy time span in the afternoon. Previous solutions have been to try to have as high a density of equipment as possible to cram as many students in the gym as possible, but during peak hours nearly all of the free weights are in use. The current situation with Covid-19 does…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Elements is overpriced

Why is Elements so insanely expensive? The prices for Elements have been high for at least the past few semesters (since I've been noticing). From what I have noticed many items are priced 20-30% higher than gas stations. Even the drinks in the Book Store are cheaper than Elements. Not sure who sets these prices but they have forced me to look elsewhere. I feel like they get away with this because most students just swipe their card and don't even pay attention to price (whats a 4$ monster when you're $80,000 in debt?). I think Mines should run this…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pre recorded video lectures

While I appreciate the thought of offering flexibility to students by having lectures pre recorded, some classes are using the fact that lectures are available to not cover all the pertinent material during class meetings. This means that students have to take time out of their schedules to watch a lecture series as well as attend classes since the professors often discuss worksheets, homework, or other valuable material during class times. For students trying to juggle clubs, jobs, homework, commutes, or other activities during an already trying semester the fact that some classes have material during class and lectures to…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Campus should not be open at such high capacity in August.

As of writing this, on June 23rd, Colorado's daily COVID cases are in the same place they were in April. They're the highest they've been excluding the three peak weeks in May. Denver, Littleton, and JeffCo public schools all have plans in place to start remote, or start late. As time goes on, we'll likely see more schools switch.
    Administration admitted that they do not have a metric for determining when the re-opening of campus to a majority of students is unsafe. Maybe it's time they come up with one.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Meaningful Expansion" Unjustly Taking Precedence over Mental Health, Parking, Housing, & Classroom Sizes

We believe PCJ and the Mines Administration's goal of "meaningful expansion" is being inappropriately prioritized above more pressing issues such as: mental health, classroom sizes, parking, and housing availability.

We acknowledge the attempts at addressing these issues currently underway, but our point is that not enough effort nor focus is being dedicated. Instead of focusing on expanding the campus, PCJ and the Mines Administration must resolve these issues first. It is our right as students and human beings. See full essay (attached) for specific viewpoints and arguments.

If you have connected with any or all of these points, join us…

440 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Rumors re: graduation schedule for next semester

It is rumored that the graduation schedule will be changed next semester so some students would graduate on Thursday night, others on Friday, and all inside. We would be divided by majors. We started together, we should end together. Dividing for the sake of convenience for the school greatly takes away from the meaning of the day for us. Graduation is an incredibly important day that we have all worked towards TOGETHER, we should all be together in the end.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Do we (or any other school) really need homecoming royalty?

I realize this is meant to be a good-natured diversion, but this sanctioned popularity contest is an antiquated tradition rooted in classism and gender-binarism. Isn't it time to end the monarchy?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. MAC should choose artists that don't harass women

When B.o.B. brought female students on stage and was grinding on them, I felt that it was extremely inappropriate. I feel that at the very least, MAC could choose artists capable of being respectful to the students of the school. I think that it is important to raise awareness of the issue of sexual harassment and for MAC to make choices that don't contribute to a culture that is accepting of such behavior.

360 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Mines Registrar Ineffectively Communicates

Mines Registrar has made several major mistakes in their communications with me including telling me I had passed a class I had actually failed and failing to inform me that a summer course I was taking elsewhere would not satisfy Mines requirements. I have heard from other students that the registrar has made similar mistakes in their communications with them regarding passing/ failing classes, study abroad credit, and transfer credit. Such miscommunications can lead to significant wasted time and effort by students and much frustration. It is unacceptable that this is a recurring problem at our institution. I would like…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. CSCI 101 In-Person for Fall 2020?

I'm noticing several of our classes are being moved to online instruction, but not CSCI 101. In fact, it looks like accommodations are being made specifically so it can be in person, such as booking large rooms in the Green Center and Student Center. I was hoping for some clarification as to why this, of all classes, has been prioritized for in-person instruction, when it consists of lecture by powerpoint and python assignments.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Tuition and Fees refund???

We are inquiring if anyone has received or been notified of any financial refunds for the previous semester (Spring 2020) due to Covid campus closing mid semester? In addition is there any financial discount for same tuition and fees anticipated for Fall 2020 semester due to virtual classes and restricted services? Like summer sessions mentioned below, it is unreasonable that there is no change in tuition and fees when the majority of campus and services is closed and/or unavailable.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Meaningful Snowdays" - Student safety should be paramount, PCJ and USG.

I'd like to preface this message by mentioning that I don't even own a car, and yet it is still a danger for me to walk to school given the icy sidewalk conditions. Additionally, any commuting student from nearby municipalities such as Denver, Lakewood or Arvada are exposed to extreme risks because of the road conditions. With the recent homecoming event, I think it should be paramount that the faculty, USG and PCJ focus on the meaningful safety of their students. As much of a burden it is to cancel school or temporarily postpone campus, and as much as students…

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Don't Extend Paid Parking Until 7:00!

I know there's a lot of complaints about parking on here, but this is a little different. I've heard that Parking Services is going to extend paid parking on campus until 7pm! Anyone who's been on campus after 5pm knows that parking at that time isn't an issue--it's really just from 10am to 3pm. Extending the hours isn't a solution to the parking problems, it's just a way for the school to make more money. In addition, this change makes it even harder for people without parking permits (Mines Park residents, etc.)/with commuter permits to access the gym, library, or…

1,209 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Good afternoon! Thank you for voicing your concern to us! After talking with President Johnson and confirming with Parking Services, we have confirmed that they will not be extending paid parking restricted hours on campus! As verified in the Daily Blast on 9/17/18, parking confirmed this to be true. FEAR NOT MINES, PARKING SHALL REMAIN 7am-5pm Monday-Friday! Let us know if any other concerns should arise! Thank you.

-USG

20. Canceling sections to make classes larger?

Mines is canceling sections making online classes larger than before as part of a COVID restructure. I thought online as bad as it was. What gives! Can teachers really not teach there original amount of classes?
    This leaves absolutely no hope for classes returning to campus in the fall. I feel like I'm paying for a much much lower quality education.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students