What's Your Beef?

Something Mines should change...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The Registrar has put senior finals the night before graduation.

The last two final time slots on the night of 5/11 have been scheduled for two all-senior classes. These should be moved to an earlier date, as we will have graduation activities to participate in and these exams are scheduled at ridiculous times for graduating seniors. Additionally, most of us have families travelling here to attend graduation and it would be nice to spend time with them the night before graduation versus studying and taking exams.

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After meeting with the Registrars Office, they believe that changing the final exam schedule now would create more problems. However, we disagree. Please email President Johnson or Derek Morgan if not changing the common exam schedule is negatively effecting your graduation experience and putting undue burden on your families during graduation.

President Johnson: paul.johnson@mines.edu
      Dean of Students: dmorgan@mines.edu

Love,
      USG

• The Registrar Office Permanent Staff are very Rude to Students

When students go to speak about their class schedules, graduation requirements, or transfer details, the registrar's permanent staff are rude. The email communications from the staff are short, uninformative, unorganized, etc., and when a student asks for clarification, the response is unnecessarily hostile and still unhelpful.

Direct communications are no better. However, if you complain or ask to speak to anyone who is higher in rank, you find out that their mother is their direct boss, and therefore your complaint falls on deaf ears.

If the registrar does not wish to interact with students, my suggestion is to go completely…

126 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After the joint focus group between USG, students, and the registrar, we have come up with some solutions: 
        1) The registrar is developing a survey that will be sent to all students who come into the office for assistance in order to get feedback on whether they completed their job effectively and to the satisfaction of students.
        2) The registrar has had two vacant positions recently, putting them slightly behind in processing.  Both of these positions should be filled by the end of the month so that they can better address students’ needs.

This is an ongoing process so please continue to leave comments of your experiences with the Registrar’s Office below (good or bad). 

Love,
        USG

• Getting rid of sanitary product machines is not an answer.

Let me explain this to everyone. Sometimes your period starts and you were unaware of the fact that its coming. In that cast having access to sanitary products is massively important. Girl have to miss class periods some times because there period started unexpectedly and there are literally no where to get tampons.
        The percentage of women at this school is going up, and that means that the sanitary products would be going bad less often.
        Having working tampon machines at the busier buildings such as the student center, ctlm, brown, and MZ is immeasurably important. Access to sanitary products…

53 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • The gym is almost always full.

For the gym, it is almost always full. I know that the school is expanding... ie. Elm Hall was built for a reason. Also, I understand that students can work out at any time, but even at low density hours, the gym is quite busy. Trust me, I have been to the gym during all of its hours during the school year. I would recommend building *gasp* another building or supplementing students with alternative places to work out.

46 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Math 201 $100 Homework System

Prob&Stats uses McGraw Hill Connect for their homework assignments. On top of tuition and a textbook, it costs $100 to students. To my knowledge, there are over 150 students enrolled in the course. This wouldn't be a huge issue, except that a high school student could have written the software. Requiring students to purchase this expensive yet poorly implemented homework program is ridiculous. Not even kidding, lon-capa is better by most standards. Is there anything that can be done to stop using this system in the future?

31 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Mines Park Shuttle

With the construction going on around campus and the general traffic of 6, I think it would be beneficial if there was a shuttle that could bus Mines Park residents back and forth from campus to MP. On Career Day when there is transportation to campus, many residents use it. This would be a great fix to the parking requests made by Mines Park residents and would also be a safer way to get to class.

In addition to safety, it could also allow MP residents to be more efficient with their time by getting 10 extra minutes of homework…

16 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Common Hour Exams on Days Before Breaks

I have noticed that the registrar will often schedule common hour exams on the day before a long weekend. For example, I have an exam tomorrow night (the Thursday before E-days). I also have friends who have had to re-schedule travel plans because they find out they have common hour exams when they are supposed to leave for long weekends.

I feel like it wouldn't be too hard for the registrar to black out these three or four days over the course of the year, but it could save a lot of students the stress of having to deal with…

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Plant more trees on campus

It seems that the campus has lost a lot of trees to construction projects and other things. It would be nice if more trees were planted... help make this place more pretty and provide shade to relax in.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Lack of availability of feminine hygiene products in campus bathrooms is neglect of ~30% of the CSM population.

Most campus restrooms do not even have a feminine hygiene product dispenser, and those that do have not been stocked for months (or years). This is not a call for free hygiene products, but there should at least be availability to purchase these products in restrooms in the case of an emergency. This is a matter of hygiene, sanitation, and basic human rights. Dispensers should be installed in all restroom and should be stocked regularly.

10 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Clean or replace keyboards and mice in CTLM Commons

After many years of use, the keyboards in the CTLM Commons are looking pretty disgusting. If they can have a deep clean to look nice again or, if it's more cost effective, replace the keyboards and mice. It also can cause ergonomic issues (and general frustration) since not all of the keys on some keyboards function properly, requiring hard presses to move or not registering keystrokes with lighter presses. And, based on prior experience, it looks like the build up on the surfaces (and under the keys) aren't entirely due to food, but mostly due to sweaty engineers working hard.…

19 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Why does Mines require us to take summer field session, but refuse financial assistance?

If we are required by the school to take field sessions during the summer semester, why is it that the financial aid office "recommend you apply for a private education loan to cover your costs for the summer..."?

As a student who is personally left, after aid offered, more than $16,000 short of estimated costs of attendance every year, I get absolutely no assistance from anyone and don't have the ability to work because I spend every waking minute working toward getting reasonable grades.

As one of the many minority, underprivileged students who have to work extra hard just to…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Extended time past just the first day of school to fill out Minor/ASI Form

The registrar currently makes it so that you must have new Minor/ASI forms due 1/10, which is the first day of school. They will not give an extension or anything. If you do not turn your form in on that day (which again, the first day of school), your minor/asi will not be counted. This is ridiculous. I believe this should be changed to be census day. It is difficult to get ahold of your department head, your advisor, and your minor department head all on the same day to sign the form. This is exceptionally ridiculous as students often…

26 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Get rid of the old maroon Nissan Altima in F lot

That marooned maroon Nissan Altima in F lot. The one with like a dozen parking violation envelopes on its windshield? There's no way in hell it isn't a stolen vehicle the thief left here over break. It's been poorly parked in the same space all semester and continues to collect violations. Parking Services are a joke. That should have either been a) towed or b) handed over to Jefferson County Sheriffs by now, but for some reason the dude who hands out those violations seems to think that having them stack up will magically move it.

Seriously, if you ever…

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Parking at Mines

I think that the changes made to parking at Mines have royally disordered the already broken parking system. Making the lowest CTLM lot a commuter was one of the most ridiculous things parking services could have done. I pay close to $100 dollars more for a General Permit and it gives me the ability to park 20 foot closer than a lucky commuter? And thats only on a good day when I can even find a place to park ANYWHERE. Now they tried to make things right by adding a general lot by the ROTC building by Q lot. Sweet…

60 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something USG has been working on over the past few years. In the school’s 5 year plan they’re planning to construct a parking garage that would bring around 700 new spots. This is a project will take multiple years to complete and the recent price increases are going towards the construction of this parking garage. Feel free to comment below with anymore questions or concerns, come in to our Senate meetings, or come to our office hours!
                                Sincerely USG!

• New vending machines

Why were the vending machines replaced? Looks like the new machines have higher prices. Also looks like they belong to mines and not a vending company. If so, why is the school gouging students with higher prices? Not cool.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Get rid of John Howard

John Howard is totally unorganized and impossible to deal with. The school can easily find somebody better.

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Limit talking in the library computer lab

There are designated group space areas within the library and around campus. Students have very loud and open conversations, which to be fair, is often school related, but I have encountered people talking to their mothers in an outside voice.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Registration is a mess

Every semester during registration, I have to run around getting signatures for several different forms. I understand the need for advisors and students to be on the same page, but there has to be a better way to do this. How about online forms? How about making changes easier (as in, you write down a class number or CRN down wrong and you have to get everything signed again). Something has to be done to make this system easier because it is a headache every single semester.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • replace lon kapa

replace lon kapa with sapling or webassign. Lon kapa is an out dated web site that needs to be replaced.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

What's Your Beef?

Feedback and Knowledge Base