What's Your Beef?

Something Mines should change...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. E-Days Concert Lineup

E-Days Concert Lineup

I'd like to suggest a re-selecting and structuring of the E-Days concert lineup to something that more accurately represents the student body and their tastes across genres. Of all of the people I've talked to there aren't many who are all too pleased with the options presented in the Survey.

This year has shown the exclusion of anything with a resemblance to EDM. Electronic music is the concert genre of choice for much of the student body and I'd like to suggest another look at the drawing board of ideas we can afford. This year has two…

310 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear friends,

Thank you all for voicing your opinion on this forum. As E-Days is a MAC event, USG cannot physically set the line up or do anything other than work with MAC to discuss the topic. Please note that MAC does have an E-Days Committee and we encourage students to join this committee in the future to better voice your opinions on such topics like the concert line-up. Once again thank you for your comments and votes and please continue to do son on “What’s Your Beef?”

Love,

USG

• The SRC Hours

Physical wellness is extremely important for students for academic and emotional success. Most students have classes all day and need to de-stress after finishing their homework late at night. With the SRC closing so early, many have to resort to running around the streets at late hours such as 12am which can be extremely hazardous. So, could the SRC hours be changed to as late as the library hours (2am) or even 24hrs during the week? Certain areas, such as rock climbing or the pool which may be viewed as needing an SRC worker to be there could be closed…

208 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand and agree that physical wellness is very important for student success here at Mines. This is one of the reasons we offer students the chances to take specialized PA classes. We have one of our representative classes looking over this suggestion so stay tuned for updates. Please note however that later SRC hours could result in higher student fees as well as later shifts for our own working students.

• Athletics using money irresponsibly, again?

The athletics department chartered a jet for the soccer team for their games this week. I'm all for supporting our teams and all but the athletics department was in the red last year for poorly managing their budget and had USG and GSG bail them out by increasing student fees. Now we see that they've used our additional student fees for chartering a private jet? 

I get that a week is short notice for getting plane tickets but there had to be an economical way of getting our team to their games. It seems like the athletics department is again…

32 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Mandatory Rec Center Fees! (Junior)

The rec center is expensive! Every semester the charge is pretty substantial. I really appreciate the rec center and everything it has to offer, yet it seems like the rec center should be something people can opt out of after their Freshman year. If you don't use it, you shouldn't have to keep paying for it!

29 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • JUNIOR -- PRINTING

The Petroleum Department makes students print very large (20+ pages) lab reports and papers weekly for several different classes, making students pay a large sum of money every semester on printing. Many students on campus do not have their own printers, but should not be forced to pay so much just to turn in their assignments.

Here are a few possible solutions for this problem.

1. The Petroleum Department should allot students more than just 100 pages a year for printing, this hardly covers the printing cost. The Chemical Engineering Department gives their students more money and gives them free…

26 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • We should give less money to the athletic department and more money to departments that need more faculty or more funding for research

So doing research on this, I could not find an itemized expenditure sheet as for what this institution pays for certain departments (which raises another issue that the institution should be more open about how they are handling our money). If I am wrong in what I am saying, then please attach an itemized expenditures sheet to this post proving such and I will be on my way including the means that this department makes revenue off of. With that being said, I am assuming that Mines pays a lot of money for our athletic department because of 1) Travel…

56 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • EPICS 151 should be restructured

EPICS 151 is a horrendous class for students taking a full schedule. The professors, at the beginning of the semester, tell the students that they are going to be pretty hands off, allowing students to format their own designs. They then proceed to hand out a ton of busy work, very little of which actually contributed to the final goal of the class. In addition to this, once teams have narrowed down their design ideas, the professor imposes additional, unnecessary parameters, such as the minimum number of subsystems required; these parameters are only put in place so that the professor…

20 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • JUNIOR

Online homework shouldn't cost students an arm and a leg! Paying $100 for a basic online submission system to use 10 times is not fiscally smart.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Minimum number of student for a class is too high

Mines has a variety of classes offered, which suits different people's interest. However, the minimum number of 10 students is required to have a class is too much, especially if the class is specific. Consequently, this destroys the variety of classes Mines offers, as classes with not enough students are canceled.

Some classes aren't even offered at other places, so let's keep the variety of classes being offered here.

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Construction and Parking Spring 2018 (Juniors)

This fall I have noticed time and time again, construction vehicles, contractors, and workers parked in campus parking lots or in general permit street parking. This will only be getting worse in the spring when more construction will be taking place. Students and teachers suffer from the administrations' negligence when it comes to parking on this campus. I understand that work may need to be done in a parking area and that the workers need somewhere to park but WE the students PAY to park in these spots, not them. It is time for the parking issues on this campus…

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Make fall break a part of thanksgiving break

I understand that a 4 day weekend in the fall can be nice, but the fact that we have that 4 day weekend and then thanksgiving week still has class that Monday and Tuesday is messed up.

For out of state students, it means many of them can't go home for thanksgiving and spend some (probably) much needed time with their family. While not all of them would do this, it sucks that the choice is then taken out of their hands.

There are also students (like me) who are in-state but grew up elsewhere, and the only time we…

25 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

So we have just started the discussion on this topic. We have a calendar committee working with those in administration right now to address this and other topics.

About half of our senate believe similarly to your comments. We will update you once a verdict is reached. We will also bring up the topic of holding tests during that week. Thank you!

Love,
                          USG

• I just want tortillas in Mines market

I want tortillas available in Mines market for breakfast. That’s all I want.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Computer Lab Availability JUNIOR

The availability of computer labs is very unclear. The signs on the doors are seemingly random with the lab being "booked" with nobody inside or there being no indication there is a class inside until you peek in and check, which is just awkward for everybody especially if they are taking an exam in there. A good way to solve this would be a link on the school website with an up to date schedule of the computer labs across campus. In addition to the up-to-date schedule, maybe another system could be put in place to see how many computers…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • JUNIOR

During the winter months, especially when there's snow, there should be a shuttle that runs up to mines park. I miss my general parking pass and walking 20-30 min when it's wet and cold isn't fun!

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Chemical and Biochemical Engineering on DiggerNet

Many employers only check Chemical Engineering on DiggerNet for jobs, which disqualifies the Chemical/Biochemical Engineering students from applying. Considering that Biochemical Engineering students essentially have all the same chemical engineering classes and learning, it would be nice if something could be done about this to make the job search easier.

22 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Water Fountain Filtering Monitoring

If we are going to have refill stations put in on campus the filters need to be checked and replaced regularly. The one in brown by BBW280 has been red since the start of school (2 months) and probably discourages people from using it. A bad filter can often be worse than just the regular fountain water.

15 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Counseling Resources

Two friends of mine recently went to the counseling center. One was immediately given referrals elsewhere. The other was seen for about twenty minutes and was then done because he wasn't "in a state of crisis". Our counseling center does not have the resources it should have! They don't have the capability to see students regularly unless they are in crisis, but so many students are left without help because of this, and they end up becoming those students in crisis because they didn't get help sooner. Any time a person makes an appointment, they are actively trying to better…

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Either migrate from lon capa to a decent system or pay for the improvements to bring it into the 21st century.

Lon Capa is slow and hardly loads on Mines own network. Canvas is much faster and actually works.

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • No place to recycle ink cartridges on campus.

There are many students on campus with their own printers on campus. When those printers run out of ink the cartridge just gets thrown away. ink cartridges are horrible for the environment in landfills but could be easily recycled. It's literally as simple as putting up a box in the student center.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Can Mines Market not play the same song at the same time every day?

Oredigger Radio should play different songs or least shuffle them so students don't have to listen to the same songs every day.

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

USG has addressed this issue and we are currently working with Mines Market through our food committee. We are helping them transition to Mines Internet Radio (MIR). Expect this to occur soon and stay tuned. Any further commentary on Mines Market can be received through this service or can be sent directly to our food committee. You can do this by emailing our Vice President, Willie Konishi, at wkonishi@mines.edu. Thank you!

Love,
                                            USG

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

What's Your Beef?

Feedback and Knowledge Base