Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

452 results found

1. Get Ubuntu Computers on Campus

Currently there are only Arch Linux OS for Linux-based OS. Ubuntu use to be in Chauvenet but they got rid of it. I can't complete a project because I need Ubuntu-based OS and not just Arch Linux

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Cancel School when the weather is dangerous

As a commuter student I was barely able to get in to school today with the inclement weather and terrible roads, and I have a relatively easy commute compared to some others. Even after the roads parking lots on campus were an icy nightmare followed by sliding down sidewalks on the walk to class. If the administration cancelled class, or even gave a late start, we all could've avoided that purgatory

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. What is the point of Trailhead?

Seriously, what is the point of having a web "portal" if I have to log into EVERY. SINGLE. INDIVIDUAL. WEBSITE.?!? It would be interesting to calculate how much time is collectively lost by students and staff having to perform all of these redundant logins. When I use a web portal, I expect to only have to login ONCE and then have the portal carry my credentials over to whatever site I link to from the portal.

Also, why is there no direct link to OrePrint on Trailhead?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Meal Plans and Munch Money

I think there should be an option to add Munch Money to your Blaster card. I don't want to purchase a full meal plan but munch money is incredibly convenient and could help speed up the lines in the Periodic Table.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. BlasterCard Access to Greek Houses Over Winter Break

I have a HUGE problem with the plan to have Greek houses closed over winter break. It’s unrealistic to assume every student living in Greek housing will not be here over break, and for those of us who are planning to stay in Golden, are we supposed to just stay here and be homeless for a few weeks? The FSL Coordinator (and whoever else is in on this idea) cannot seriously expect any students staying in Golden to have another place to live for just a few weeks. I know a few students who will be working and several who…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Most of the computer labs on campus are absolutely disgusting

In my entire time at Mines, nearly every computer lab I have worked in has been very dirty. I think these computer labs, especially those in Alderson, need to be added to a cleaning schedule. If they already are on one, they need to be cleaned more frequently or someone needs to be in charge of making sure the cleaning gets done. With sickness already a massive problem students must deal with, the computers we are often required to be working on should not be as dirty as they are. I understand every computer lab isn't going to be spotless…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Delay and Cancellation Timing Announcements

Mines said that they would announce a delay or closure at 5:30 am. This would have benefited the rec center student employees as well as the swim team who all got up and came to campus and opened the building which then had to be closed five minutes later. There should be more accountability for Mines to actually stick to their word especially since this closure was due to road conditions that the people who drove on had to drive on again, thus risking their safety. Since campus is closed they do not have the option to stay in a…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. "Meaningful Snowdays" - Student safety should be paramount, PCJ and USG.

I'd like to preface this message by mentioning that I don't even own a car, and yet it is still a danger for me to walk to school given the icy sidewalk conditions. Additionally, any commuting student from nearby municipalities such as Denver, Lakewood or Arvada are exposed to extreme risks because of the road conditions. With the recent homecoming event, I think it should be paramount that the faculty, USG and PCJ focus on the meaningful safety of their students. As much of a burden it is to cancel school or temporarily postpone campus, and as much as students…

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Rumors re: graduation schedule for next semester

It is rumored that the graduation schedule will be changed next semester so some students would graduate on Thursday night, others on Friday, and all inside. We would be divided by majors. We started together, we should end together. Dividing for the sake of convenience for the school greatly takes away from the meaning of the day for us. Graduation is an incredibly important day that we have all worked towards TOGETHER, we should all be together in the end.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Stop closing the blinds in the Boettcher room

it's pretty much the only place in the library with natural light there's lots of other dark / fluorescent lit rooms to hole up besides this one

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Where my diploma at? - David (and everybody else)

I think that the registrar should send out the PDF diplomas to all the seniors that graduated in May.

I understand that the registrar is busy, but here are some numbers to show that it's wild that we haven't gotten them yet:

Days since May 10th, 2019: 122
    Minus weekends (36 days): 86
    Days if they took two weeks off: 76

If you assume that there was only one person in the registrar's office taking care of absolutely everything, I'd say maybe we'd lose 40 DAYS (1,600 working hours) to working on registration. That would leave 36 days. I understand…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Overfilling Classrooms Beyond Number of Seats/Fire Capacity

For the past 3 years classes have been filled above fire capacity. If it was 1 or 2 students this would be fine, but I've been in classes with around 10 (or more) extra people in them. It's frustrating to pay thousands of dollars to not be even guaranteed a seat in class. You have to fight to get a seat, and this is happening in everything from large lectures to classes in COMPUTER LABS. Professors are letting countless students blue slip in because they don't want to block their graduation schedule (as they should), but there is no support…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Parking permits should begin and end during the 1st week of classes (or on census day)

The first order of business for returning students should NOT be renewing their parking permits. And students who are on campus over the summer should not be surprised on August 1st when they get a ticket for an expired permit. Get rid of the arbitrary August 1st date. Allow returning students to get settled and get funding for the semester straightened out before making them buy a parking permit.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make K-lot more connected/accessible

It's bad enough when you get stuck out in the K-lot, but the walk to campus feels extra long because the athletic complex is fenced off and locked. Although the distance is not a big issue, it would feel more like you are actually parking on campus if you could walk through campus to get to class. Unlock the gates, or make a designed walking path.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. FRESHMAN HAVE COMMUTER PASSES AND NOW ALL LOTS ARE FULL BY 10 AM!!!

I am beyond pissed about this. We already had shitty parking. You already took away a whole fucking lot for christ's sake. Now, somebody decided that the freshman should have access to commuter passes. This clearly was not well thought out. This new freshman class is one of the largest, and the fucking live on campus so they leave their fucking cars in the lot. HALF THE SPOTS ARE TAKEN BY THE TIME I GO TO BED AT NIGHT! What the fuck? Who the fuck do I start a jihad against. I didn't pay $130 to get parking tickets everyday.…

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CS should stop scheduling multiple 400-level courses at the same time.

Currently, Computer Science has 3 different 400-level classes in the 12:30-1:45 T/Th slot: Operating Systems, Simulations, and Networks II. I (and a lot of other people I know) would like to take multiple of these courses. However, Networks II is a special topics, and Simulations is fall-only. That means that even if we put off Operating Systems, which is offered both semesters, we may never have the opportunity to take all of these classes.

There are barely any CS classes offered on MWF. Why are we double- and triple-scheduling courses in this one time slot when we have almost every…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Required recitations should be scheduled at the same time as the course time.

Recitations generally are required and scheduled later in the afternoon compared to the course they are linked with. They should be instead scheduled at the exact same time as the course scheduled time as if it were a normal class day. This makes a lot of students who have extra curricular afternoon activities, or jobs miss out on the required recitations that are supposed to help them in the first place. I don't see why they can't match the times better or at least offer earlier recitations?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Financial Aid Portal within Self Service is Impossible to Navigate

When I log into Trailhead and head to the Self Service tab, I get frustrated so quickly. The anger is mainly centered around how difficult it is to use the Financial Aid portal within Self Service. It's ridiculously hard to navigate, and I often end up going in circles online when I'm looking for specific information. The interface is not user-friendly at all, and I usually give up and decide I need to set aside time to physically visit the Financial Aid office the next day. We pay so much money to the school; it shouldn't be this hard to…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. During the summer there's no need to force us to pay for a parking pass

Pretty simple really. The only reason that it's ok to make people pay for parking passes during the school year is because there's too many people and not enough spots. I get it. But during the summer there's always, always, spots available. Why can I not park in a half empty parking lot at the school I give thousands of dollars to to begin with, without paying for yet another fee??? If every other spot is available, clearly there's no need to enforce a monetary restriction on the parking spots. You guys are clearly just looking for another reason to…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Mines Student Directory ought to be made students-only, like many other universities.

The Mines student directory is open to the public to search for names, majors, emails, and whatever else you have allowed through trailhead (but at minimum, your name and major). But you cannot be removed from the directory unless you also don't want to walk with your class at graduation, or get involved in anything that requires a confirmation of attendance. The only way to have your information removed from the public eye is for Mines to pretend like you don't exist, which can be detrimental for acquiring scholarships and jobs. Many other large universities require students to log into…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students