Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Last minute class location and time changes

The registrar often changes the times and locations of classes which is very inconvenient and makes planning tough.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The CASA webcam should be taken down

Does anyone think its a bit creepy that there is a webcam looking directly at the street recording and livestreaming people walking by? I know quite a few people that park there, and it just feels like an invasion of privacy.... especially since it is broadcast. Link is as follows:

http://casa.mines.edu/casawebcam

Looks like big brother is watching you as you enter campus...

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG has met and talked about this. We agree that it is a little strange to have a webcam there, however, it does not seem to be having a large affect on students at this time.

Currently USG believes that there are other ideas that we should first explore before trying to take down the CASA webcam, such as getting 24/7 access to labs or faster grades from teachers. We only have so much time (we go to Mines too!) and we want to make sure we are first addressing the ideas that improve the lives for the largest number of undergrads.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

3. The transfer student department is terrible.

As a transfer student, I understand that Mines students get top priorities over me but what I'm experiencing is outrageous. Registering for classes is such a hassle; I don't have a true adviser and my transcripts aren't being entered. As an ethnic student, I feel that I'm not being treated equal ; my (white) friends emails gets instant response and every problem (transcript, class registrations) are taken care of immediately. I have to show up in person and ask in order to have my problems addressed. I pay just as much as they do, shouldn't my problems matter the same?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello, I realize this is an older post but we have a bit of information. The transfer student department got restructured rather recently, and has two new full time employees who are completely dedicated to transfer students. Their names are Lisa McDowell and Kat. Hopefully with this increase in employment things have gotten better. If not, please respond and we will look in to this further. Always feel free to email us at minesusg@gmail.com.

4. Mines Needs a Sign on 6th Av.

I think Colorado School of Mines needs a sign on 6th av. going west onto 19th street. There is no real indication that this turn is how you get to our school. I think we should invest and get a sign indicating the colorado school of mines on 6th avenue. This would help parents, prospective students, and other visitors get on campus. Just an idea, but might be useful..

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Parking Garage

We all know parking sucks and of course they're constantly looking into ways to make it more affordable and better for all. The fact is, though, the school is growing. Band-aids aren't going to fix the problem but provide only a little relief. We need to move up! Into the sky! We are running out of space. Use an existing parking lot and turn it into 3, 4, or even 5 different parking lots!! And, if you do it in the right place, it won't obstruct anyone's lovely views of the mountains. We go to an engineering school. Let some…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

A parking garage will not happen in the near future. There are more spots than there are passholders. Much of the parking just isn’t centralized, like Q lot and Ford lot, and people don’t want to walk from that far away. Even if a parking garage was going to go up it would be in one of these locations, so people would still have to walk from those ends of campus. Also it’s extremely expensive, thousands of dollars per spot, and the school does not have the money.

6. We need better signage on campus

We need better signage on campus. Too many visitors don't know where they are going once they are here or end up in the wrong building because they sound alike (i.e. Student Center vs. Student Recreation Center). Signage along the roads as well as campus map kiosks on campus would help immensely.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The Rec Center's Pool hours should be made more available during the weekdays!

I really like the rec center's pool - but its hours during the weekdays are horrible! If you can't make it around the lunch hour then you can't go until 6:30 pm...I usually work out around 2pm so I'm not going to wait around on campus for 4 hours until I can get access...No one is using the pool either which is weird....

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The racquetball courts should be open later/on weekends.

Considering there are only two racquetball courts on campus and they are used by both people who play racquetball and those who play handball, it would be really nice to have access to the courts during more hours.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. A real solution to the parking issues on campus.

There's a couple things I think could be done about the parking situation on campus (including some that are currently being done) to help improve the overall parking scenario on campus, including making parking more affordable for all students.

What's been done: Students who live on campus can't buy general passes. Students who live on mines park can only get MP passes.
    Suggestion to improve further: Students who live on campus can only park overnight in MP, and enforcing this.

A motorcyclist pass:
    I know of quite a few people who have motorcycles on campus, and I'm one of them.…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Pricing based on vehicle size: Most of the spots on campus are not on the street so we do not think that pricing based on vehicle size would be a good option.

Pass enforcement: It makes it easier for the student workers to have the pass be consistently in one place.

Parking office: We will bring up in our meeting that this is “hostile” but it’s a joke it is not meant to be taken seriously,

Buying passes based on the day: We can bring this up in a meeting on the logistics of buying passes for specific days. Most people have classes at least four days of the week, however, so I don’t know how much of a benefit this would be.

Motorcycle pass: We discussed this issue and decided that we are not going to pursue it. There are a lot of other issues that we are working…

10. The intellectual property policy is an unfair to students.

Improvements could be made by removing the "has bearing on a class the student is currently taking" clause, which is ambiguous and would be easy for the school to exploit in nearly every case; adding an exemption to claims on IP developed using any "school resources" for the campus internet, to which all students have alternatives, but the use of which is certainly convenient; and removing the burden of proof from the student as far as school resource use is concerned.

Also, it seems a little silly to claim all IP developed by ALL school employees, RA's and janitors included.

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Students should have much quicker/easier access to their grades during the semester.

It's hard to know which classes we're doing poorly in when some teachers don't hand back any work and no grades are received until long after the material is taught. Keeping up with grades and posting them online would facilitate our learning.

101 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Let us play with Puppies!

Mines seems very interested in our well being during finals..... So they should bring puppies on campus on Kafadar for us to play with during dead week, I know of colleges that do it to relieve student stress... Seems Brilliant.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Teachers should warn students about class cancellations prior to breaks at least a MONTH in advance!!!

Out of state students have to book flights pretty early to get the best rates. If teachers don't inform students about when they wont have classes, students cannot maximize their time with their families over the vacation.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The piano in Brown should be moved back to its original location

The piano in Brown Building has been recently moved to the study area. I understand that in its original location, it was distracting to classes in W250, but now it is distracting to students studying nearly 24 hours a day.
    The music's nice, but some people are embarrassed to play in front of all the students studying all the time (the old location was much more secluded).

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: We are going to decline this issue right now since it was posted so long ago but if it still an issue please just post again and then we will address it. We just don’t know if this is still an issue since it’s been two years.

The Junior Class USG is willing to take this project on. To formally voice your opinion and/or suggestions, stop by their office hours in Digger Den at 5-6pm on Wednesdays or by email at samcoope@mymail.mines.edu.

15. 24 hour dedicated computer lab for Mechanical/Electrical/Civil/Etc students.

It seems patently unfair that one of the largest departments/colleges at this school doesn't have a dedicated 24 hour computer lab. To access computers on off-days, you have to hope that someone didn't lock brown, and hope that someone didn't lock 316, and hope that they are going to let you log on in the first place. With a lot of my homework requiring specialty software that is not provided for free, I am frequently enraged when I am unceremoniously kicked out of a computer lab at 11:00 when I still have a small dump-truck of work to be done.

143 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    Currently CTLM has a dedicated 24 hour computer lab with a lot of computers and software! Any student, no matter what major or year, can use these computers. USG acknowledges that there should be more space on campus for 24 hour dedicated computer labs. We will continue in the future to advocate for new computer labs. For example, the new library renovation project will create new space for more computer labs accessible to all students.

Sincerely,
    USG

Update: It is in the short future of capital planning to create two more computer labs. One will be a teaching lab in Chauvenet and the other will be in Brown building. A definite timeline is not yet known. It is still a class project to work on longer access in Brown.

16. The "What's Your Beef?" page needs to be fixed

The "What's Your Beef?" site is riddled with bugs. I have tried to vote for ideas, post comments, and use other features this site offers and the site either freezes up or blacks out. What the heck!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Places to take a nap on campus

There should be a place(s) on campus where you can go and take a short nap or just relax and close your eyes for a little bit. Most of the students who live off campus don't live close enough to go home and nap if they only have an hour or so between their classes. There are many benefits to taking a short nap in the middle of the day, and at a school like Mines, time and sleep are very important.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Lights for North IM Fields

While IM sports get the south fields (the ones with lights), the club sports (you know, the ones that actually go out and represent Mines to the community) have to practice on the north fields. In the fall, it gets dark before 7. That really sucks when a team's practice time is from 6-8. It makes hard to have a reasonable amount of practice.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As of right now USG does not have the funding to help this and capital planning is so busy with the new buildings that this would not be a priority. Sorry there isn’t more that we can do!

Love,
    USG

One of our executive members has taken this project on. Currently, the issue would be funding as the equipment and the installation requires more funds than Club Sports and USG has to offer. However, other alternatives are being researched and we will get back to you. Thank you for being patient.

19. No class on labor day or veterans day

There are only 7 national legal holidays observed nationwide...New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

How do we not get Labor Day or Veterans Day off? That's ridiculous. It's unpatriotic.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Slate needs extended hours

Weekend breakfast should start the same time as a weekend (I get up early on the weekends and have to eat off campus). Also, dinner at slate should be served after 7:15 p.m. Eating dinner at 8 pm isn't unreasonable.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: The hours at the new market in Elm are going to be open longer, available for money, munch money, and meal swipes.

Sodexo is currently thinking about extending the hours of the Slate Cafe during the weekdays, potentially until 9pm. However, if this was the decided course of action, Slate would be closed for a few hours during the day when there is minimal traffic-same with early weekends.

Any further opinions about this subject can be sent to samcoope@mymail.mines.edu.

Chris Pacher (Junior Class USG) plans to bring this up at the next Sodexo dining committee meeting. We will update you with any new news. Thanks for being patient!

• Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base