Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. The "Wi-Fi Study Lounge" in Green Center Needs Better Wi-Fi

For an area with "Wi-Fi" directly in its name, the Wi-Fi Lounge has some of the worst wireless internet access on campus. It took me about 15 minutes of refreshing and resetting my laptop's wireless to access this page and post this, and I'm here at an off time of the day.

Currently, I get better Wi-Fi by sitting on the ground in the lobby area, which is unavailable when there is some sort of conference, and doesn't have the convenience of couches and chairs to sit in.

Would it be possible to get an access node somewhere closer to/inside…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Give Blaster Card Access to Brown

The Engineering students (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Environmental) can't get blaster card access to Brown but Mining, which is in Brown, does. Its wrong!

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been an ongoing project over the years. Currently our sophomore class is continuing it. If you have any specific questions about the progress you can email the president or representatives, every officer is listed on our website at http://mines.orgsync.com/org/usg/officers

UPDATE
    USG reached out to Brown to initiate this change but found it was not realistic. Apparently a lot of malicious actions were done in Brown when students had access. Even recently doors have been destroyed. Also, citing the lack of cameras in Brown, administration is not willing to accept this suggestion.

-USG

3. Unga Bunga, Discover Thunder, Digger Den.

I recently upgraded from an old Rockintosh deskrock computer system to a laprock form to be able to do my stonework on campus.

But seriously, we living in the stone age or what? Digger Den is old as heck but in a time where everyone has a laptop, it's silly that only every other window bench in Ol' Diggy has outlets, and they're in the least convenient spots in the world. If a fine lady is wearing a skirt and sitting next to one of said ports, I don't want to accidentally lose my fedora while looking down to plug…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Dead Week?

What ever happened to the idea that we would have a week of nothing but review before our final exams? Dead week has turned into a hell week for the entire school. It is to a point where no one has time to study for their finals because they are too busy trying to finish the papers and lab reports, all due on Dead Day.. Can we at least have one day where things are not due?

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. More useful CAD software

The mechanical engineering department only uses Solidworks, when in reality most companies want you to have experience with AutoCAD, Pro-E or Six Sigma. Not sure what their thought process is there...

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Wait list for classes should automatically add you

If you sign up for a class and are put on the wait list you should be automatically added when the spot opens up. Currently you have 24hrs to logon and add the class. This is a terrible policy especially over summer break! I missed adding a class by an hour in the middle of summer. After questioning the policy I was informed that some people didn't realize they were added to a class and ended up getting an F in the class.
    Penalizing the people with lives outside of school, for the stupid ones, is not the way to…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We brought this up in USG and it seems the majority of people favor the 24 hour policy and think that it is fair. We’d rather not risk anyone getting an F unknowingly, even if it was a mistake they made. People make mistakes, we don’t want to see students ruining their GPA because of it. If you know you are on a waitlist for a class, check your email.

Love,
    USG

7. Blackboard should receive a serious push from the school to work better and more consistently, or Mines should switch to a different system.

Blackboard is notorious for crashing during peak usage times, which is inconvenient for teachers and students alike. Not only does Blackboard supply grades, but it also hosts quizzes, homework, and study materials: all things that students should have access to 24/7. Many students have trouble accessing Blackboard on mobile devices, and the app (which you have to pay for) crashes frequently. Blackboard is used by numerous schools across the country and either needs a harder push from schools to increase their reliability and service, or needs to be replaced with something more reliable. Its simply not fair to students.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We met with our CIO and he informed us that there were some major changes made and bugs fixed that should prevent nearly all blackboard crashes in the future. Hope this helps!

Love,
    USG

We are going to ask the blackboard administrator why these errors occur so often. Once we get that information we will work on what to do next!

8. Arthur Lakes Library Hours

The library hours are a bit ridiculous on the weekends and even during the week. Many campus libraries are open until 2am or later during the week and until midnight or 1am on the weekends, whereas our campus library is only open until midnight at the latest during the week and only until 5pm on Saturday. I think we should change the library hours so that the library stays open later (preferably until 2am).

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix the Electricity in Brown Building

With the addition to Brown Building being one of the newest on campus, it's extremely frustrating to sit down at any of the desks in the study area on the ground floor, only to find the outlets don't work. This problem appears to be unmitigated. It really shouldn't be that hard to get taken care of!

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Wifi in Mines Park

Similar to Weaver, the wifi in Mines Park is really bad. In addition, not all apartments have 2 ethernet ports in the living room, which makes things extremely difficult when I want to study with friends. We have to load a page and then hand off the cord to someone else. This is really annoying, especially considering how much I pay to live here. While we can set up 1 computer per room on an ethernet cord, this is extremely inconvenient when I want to study with friends.
    It would be nice if the wifi was better OR there were…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Common Hour Exams

As far as I know, common hour exams were originally created to give a lot of students the same exam at the same time and prevent cheating. With this, the majority of the student population had either a 6 or 8pm exam, but very rarely both on a given night. However with the growth in popularity of the system, it's now becoming common for students to have both a 6 and 8pm exam on a given night. I know of one student personally who had 5 common hour exams in one week, with one having to be rescheduled, obviously. It…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. The one problem we see with this option is that this could cause a lot of scheduling issues trying to reschedule the exams for such a large amount of people (since a lot of the time it’s a large group of freshman or sophomores that have two exams one night). However, with the current plan any student could still be schedule four nights a week, the only difference now is that it’s one per day instead of two on two days. Since that hardly ever happens we don’t think it’ll be an issue with the new schedule. If you disagree, however, please let us know!

Love,
    USG

12. Graduate school information

It seems that no one knows how to apply to graduate school. At least not the whole story. If you ask any one person they will give you one (and only one) step. First we need to inform the staff in Guggenheim or within our own departments, then we need to inform the students on everything they need to do in order to be successful in applying for graduate school at CSM.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Why are only certain classes counted as H&SS!?

I know of several students whom have taken EBGN courses thinking that they would count towards the LAIS/EBGN requirements stated on the flowcharts. However, it's not very clear that only some classes will fit the requirement. I believe more or all EBGN classes should count for this requirement. It's total nonsense that some EBGN classes, specifically financial accounting, is not a social science! Let's get real here. The course focuses on the study of how people and companies interact to create business deals and investments. Interaction of people.... how is that not considered a social science!?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pretty sure that to be counted as LAIS credit there has to be a certain amount of reading and writing associated with the course. Unless the course can meet those requirements it can not be counted as LAIS. If you feel strongly that the course could meet the requirements I think that the professor needs to have it approved, so you could ask if they have considered doing so.

Love,
    USG

14. Stop Sign or red light at Illinois and 19th

It is very difficult to turn on 19th from Illinois. There is always a back up of traffic and an accident there is inevitable .

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Get rid of the pedestrian zone in the middle of campus!

No one's going to get run over by letting kids ride bikes there, there aren't any problems of people being hit by bikers in the rest of campus. A bike is an easy thing to maneuver, unless you suck at biking you're not hitting anyone. Even if someone got hit by a bike I doubt it would really injure them too much, I've taken much worse falls on my bike and walked away fine. I'd like to know how many people had an injury serious enough to require hospitalization as a result of a bike accident in that area before…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bring Back the Sherpa House CSM student discount!

So Sherpa house recently stopped giving their student discount for the buffet lunch and this makes me both sad and hungry. Is there anything to be done?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We spoke to an employee at Sherpa House and they said that the discount was taken away for financial reasons. When we asked if there was any chance that they would bring it back they did not sound optimistic. Sorry we can’t do anything to fix this!

Love,
    USG

17. iClickers Should Be Rented

Why do we buy iClickers? We're only using them for (generally) the first two years of school and then what happens after that? We sell them to the bookstore at 10% of the original cost? Lame. Seniors and juniors (and sophomores) who are no longer using their iClickers should donate them so that the incoming freshman will not need to buy them! Over time, it would be like a rental program--you borrow one and you return it in working condition, because honestly, you have to really beat up your iClicker for it to be no longer functional. iClickers should not…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Kafadar lights

Lights on the trees in the center of Kafadar (the wee little ones, similar to holiday lights). Would make campus more pleasant at night. Perhaps solar-powered lights... We have enough sun in Golden!

Lights between the trees instead? Similar to the Celebration of Mines lights, but all year round (or part of the year... as finals approach or somethin!).

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Parking Lot AA Lights

The AA parking lot has overhead lights, but they have been consistently turned off by 10 pm- 10:30 pm, at least on Wednesdays, as I am coming back to campus. Is there a way these lights could stay on all night as to make the parking lot more lit up and safe? Thank you.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We recently did a safety walk of campus and addressed all areas where lights were going out. These are being taken to campus safety and will be fixed soon!

Love,
    USG
    We have contacted parking services to leave the lights on till 11:00 pm. We will update what’s your beef when we have received confirmation of this.

20. The Wifi in Weaver Towers

The Wireless internet needs attention in weaver towers. I literally cannot access anything, and since almost all my homework is online this is a tremendous pain in the a$$. For 30,000 a year I should be able to have wifi that works.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

All of the campus wifi has been updated and throughout the year it has been (nearly all done now) pushed through all the buildings. All wifi throughout campus should be improved. If there are any bad spots reach out to any of us and we can relay the information to the CIO. There is also a mines help desk and if you contact them they will also be able to tell where dead spots are to improve them. helpdesk.mines.edu. Hope this helps!

Love,
    USG

James DeBartolomeis is the head of the committee. If you are interested in getting more involved with the WI-FI committee he is available in the USG office (in the back of the student activities office) from 4:00pm – 5:00pm on Wednesdays. He is also available via…

• Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base