Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Library Computers

The computers in the library are running Internet Explorer first off, which is odd. But that's beside the point.

First, these computers are valuable for printing. And yet the permissions are so restricted that we cannot access the downloads folder to print something we downloaded.

Second, these computers are also meant to be used for homework by students who need them. But when trying to open an excel file from blackboard, there's no excel installed? There are very few actually useful programs that are installed on the computers in the library.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Email Lists

Seriously I'm sick of getting my email overloaded with emails I don't care about! I should be on a mailing list for things that concern my class, or my major. I don't care about offering a 500 level class if I'm a freshman. I don't care that the faculty can't access their account for an hour. It makes me miss and overlook emails that are actually important. STOP IT.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Here is the quote from the comment on this post from Jack Rosenthal:

“You can change your subscription preferences at mailman.mines.edu, just type in your mymail address and you can get the password for the list preferences emailed to you.

I like changing the lists to digest mode, I get one email per day from each list with a digest from all the posts from that day. Helps keep the inbox clean.

Additionally, you can set up filters through the gmail web interface, simply have it mach all emails with [ugrad] (or whatever list) and dump them in their own folder."

Thanks Jack!

Love,
    USG

3. We need a dedicated Mining computer lab.

As mining engineering students we need to use specialized software that we can't access from home due to their high prices and limited licenses. Having a computer lab is nice but this semester it has been reserved too often for classes. If we can't use the lab we can't get homework/labs done. We need more classrooms for Mining classes so they don't have to take over the computer lab just to teach.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The Proposed Common Hour Exam Change

I believe that the proposed common hour exam change to one per night has some logistical issues. Wednesday night classes such as McBride would be interrupted by these exams. What happens when someone has class and an exam scheduled at the same time? This includes the late night EPICS classes that are offered to freshman. Also, many organizations make their meetings on either Monday or Wednesday nights in order to avoid conflict with Common Hour exams.

I think that most of the problems with having two exams on the same night could be resolved with a better awareness of scheduling.…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: First, all of these complaints were brought up in detail at several of our USG meetings. We are trying to make the exams at 7:30 so that the evening classes wouldn’t be very interrupted. The exception would be the 6pm to 9pm classes. Overall, it was decided that the benefit of moving exams to four nights a week outweighed the costs. There was a committee formed with students, faculty, and staff to move forward with the proposed common hour exam change. They voted in favor of the change. We will be sure to communicate the progress to the student body, so please comment on our page if you have any suggestions in the future!

5. Add Youtube services to mymail accounts

My professor posts youtube videos as a supplement to lecture and encourages us to post discussion in the comments. The youtube service is not allowed through the mymail account system. It would be nice if CCIT would enable this for all students.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Blackboard "My Grades" area should be fixed or removed

For the last semester and a half, the "my grades" section on blackboard seems to be having issues. When there are notifications under that area, I click and am redirected to a page where the "my grades" section has disappeared. It makes it difficult to track progress in a class, or contest a grade on blackboard if the system is unreliable.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:

They are actively working on finding a solution to the grade problem and are very aware of the problem. From here, there is not much more we can do. The report card on the homepage has been renamed to ‘grades’ so hopefully this helps students find their grades more easily. This is always accessible so you will always have access to your grades,

Love,
    USG

Hi!

We have emailed the blackboard administrator to ask about it. Hope to have answers soon! In the mean time you can always look at the very bottom of your home page where classes are listed under “report card.” Just click on the numbers and the grade page will be pulled up. It’s not convenient but it works!

Love,
    USG

7. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Publicize the What's Your Beef forum to Campus

I've mentioned this to many people and it seems like no one is aware of it. This is a powerful tool, but only if the people are aware of it.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: Have you seen the cows on campus?Hopefully!! We are continuously trying to find ways to publicize this forum. Word of mouth always helps! Let your friends know, we would love to hear everyones feedback!
    Thanks for your input! We will send out a campus wide email this week about projects we’ve been working on as well as how to give feedback using this website. Hopefully this increases traffic but if its not effective then we will send out an email just about this website before the end of the semester so that people are aware of it. We post links on our facebook page every once in a while but that has so few followers that I don’t think its very effective.

9. Bowling alley in the student center

With the demise of Golden Bowl and the planned renovation of the student center in the next few years, I propose that the student center installs a bowling alley. Bowling is the staple of many student unions throughout the country. A 6-12 lane facility (depending on space) would not only give Club Bowling a convenient place to practice, but would also serve the entire student body and even the rest of the Golden community. I have a feeling it would be immensely popular. Despite the initial capital costs (which aren't as much as you think), it would be profitable for…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The HDMI cables in Brown should be longer

Currently, almost all of the HDMI cables in the Brown conference and study rooms are inaccessible because they are only a foot or two long. The cables don't even reach the tables in most cases, which makes it difficult to host meetings and group study sessions, which is what the rooms are designed for.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create loading zones on campus

It would be nice if there were a few places on campus where students could park for 15 minutes or so, if they just have to run in and turn in a paper, download something from a computer, etc.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: A couple of the reps brought this up at parking committee. Turns out you are allowed to park on the street and put your hazards on and they will give you a fifteen minute grace period to come back by then without giving you a ticket.

12. Fix the damper pedal on the slate piano or move the BB piano to slate.

Slate is a great common area to play piano, but the piano is in awful shape. Brown Building has a really nice piano, but it's in a study area so people get angry if you play it.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    After speaking with the Brown building manager it was decided that the piano is staying in Brown.

Sincerely,
    USG

There was a tuner working on the piano on the 17th of September. The facilities people will be notified that there is a problem with the pedal. The idea of moving the pianos are also under serious consideration and the logistics have making that happen are being looked into.

Viewed and will be brought up at the USG meeting on September 18, 2014 at 6:00PM.

13. 13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    Official word from the administration is that there is no place on the Mines campus that could physically support a parking garage. The amount of foundation work necessary would drive the cost of parking spaces up to unreasonable amount.

Viewed and will be brought up at the USG meeting on September 18, 2014 at 6:00PM.

14. What happened to class tshirts?

Remember the awesomely designed tshirts that each class got? Like the grey equations one, navy whiskey style one, orange ratio one, etc?
    What happened? I thought that was gonna be a yearly thing.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

The two reasons we haven’t been doing them is because one: we want the USG reps to focus on issues on campus and be proactive in addressing them. In previous years we haven’t done well with actually trying to improve the campus, the main thing classes would do was make tshirts. So we are trying to stray away from that to make USG more effective. Two: Money is not allocated to tshirts.

If you don’t feel that this was a good plan or have other feedback please let us know! We can reopen the ticket if need be!

Thank you!

15. Career Fair

Career Fair should be held on a weekend rather than a weekday. It isn't fair for those of us who have mandatory lab/class during this time period. Or at least offer it like Tuesday/Thursday but honestly a weekend would be preferred in my opinion it would give all students a fair chance for a job/internship.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Moving the career for to a weekend is unfeasible due the the logistic constraints of spaces used and the hundreds of very busy full time employees working as recruiters. The callender committee is working to ensure that there are no exams on tests days. Last year the student body voted to have class on career day because it means having a 4 day weekend for fall break. If your classes conflict with career day times, you should consider consulting the person in charge of that class. Professors are often willing to work with students that have very busy schedules.

16. Bring back the Intramural Swim Meets

I don't want to put myself in a position where need 5 years to graduate by joining varsity swimming, but I still would love to swim competitively. It made me very sad to hear that the IM sports budget was cut in such a way that IM sports had to discontinue their swim meets. How can we bring back non-varsity swimming competitions?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

I’m the Vice President currently for USG. I’m sorry to hear that the IM Swim Meet got cut this year. Undergraduate Student Government did determine how much money IM Sports was allocated, however that was not a specific item that we cut. We do stand by our decision for the amount of money that was cut from each of the organizations. If you are interested I can email you with the specifics on what exactly we decided not to fund, or we could meet. Because IM Sports is a governing body they are allowed to spend their allocated money however they choose, regardless of what items we cut from their budget.

I hope this helps you understand our decision. Again, if you would like more specific details please email me at lemarsha@mines.edu.

Thank you!
    Colin

17. Adjunct Faculty

I have only heard rumors, but I have heard the administration is contemplating removing all adjunct professor positions. This is disheartening to me; I feel they bring invaluable experience from the industry that professors in academia do not have. I feel the adjuncts' knowledge and experience are essential to our education and would hate to see them go.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can we add a few parking spaces for plug-in cars?

Would like to see a few parking spots added with the ability to charge plug-in electric/hybrid cars.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. We should not Have tests the week after spring break!!

Having to study my butt off during my spring break isn't much of a break. We work hard enough as Mines' students and deserve a little R&R, also every other college in existence has mid terms the week before break for this reason.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Well defined justifications for tuition fee increase

Would like to have a clearly stated documentation of why we need increased tuition costs, validation for who will recieve these additional funds, and guidelines to precautionary measures to assure that funds are being spent appropriately.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students