Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

452 results found

1. Parking fees are unjust

As an older student who has a family, mortgage, and other responsibilities, it seams unreasonable for Mines to charge for parking considering the very limited housing community in the city of Golden. The practice of charging students who cant afford to live close to Mines campus an additional fee (parking pass) to attend classes is dishonest to say the least. This dishonesty is multiplied with the fact that the City of Golden has made it illegal to park near campus if you don't live in the City of Golden.
    Solutions:
    1) Don't charge students to park on campus.
    2) Charge…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Motion Lab New + Reduced Hours

I would like to discuss the idea of re-implementing the 8-11 hours for the motion lab below spruce

It seems a common sentiment that the current athletic facilities are often at capacity (Which is something I have personally seen myself)

However, one thing being done about it was the opening of the motion lab to offer more space to exercise and work out

However, with the change to the hours of motion lab, the problem has been made worse for the period of time in which many students (including myself) like to work out

I will however, acknowledge that I…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. More cameras

If Golden is known for having such a high theft problem then why in god's name isn't their more cameras on Campus where there are bike racks. I had my bike stolen last week and it's probably long gone and since their aren't any cameras so theirs no way of catching the ******* that stole it. Seriously it's ******* ridiculous that I pay $60,000 for tuition and y'all can't hire someone to install some more ******* cameras.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Facilities

With as much money as Mines takes in, they should consider building another recreation center with a massive weight room. The recreation center is too small and doesn't have enough space. It should also be open 24/7. Also the parking at mines needs to be improved. Consider building CTLM lots vertically into parking garages and making more parking available to students and visitors.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Mines Market forcing students to use munch money over Thanksgiving break

Can Mines please not force the people not traveling during Thanksgiving break and wishing to get food from Mines Market to use munch money? This should be meal exchanges, not munch money.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Computers around campus

I've noticed that there are multiple computers facing service issues. Literally before my lab on tuesday I have to restart computers in marquez due to not being connected to the network. In the library there are multiple computers that people avoid due to there being problems of connectivity, either it doesnt connect with the display or the accesories (keyboard, mouse) do not work.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Coors Breakout 281 is always very hot.

The breakout rooms in the south corner of the Coors building are always extremely hot, even in the winter, with the heaters by the windows always running. I believe that the thermostat defaults to something around 80 degrees, and often times manually setting the thermostat to something reasonable gets canceled after a few minutes. Is it possible for this to be fixed?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Facilities

With as much money as Mines takes in, they should consider building another recreation center with a massive weight room. The recreation center is too small and doesn't have enough space. It should also be open 24/7. Also the parking at mines needs to be improved. Consider building CTLM lots vertically into parking garages and making more parking available to students and visitors.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Charge for electricity instead of time at the EV stations

Right now all of the EV chargers on campus cost $1 per hour regardless of how much electricity is consumed. This is a complete ripoff because the actual cost of electricity is only $0.10-$0.15 cents per kWh.

For example, the battery in my PHEV has a 10kWh capacity, and it charges at 3.3 kW per hour, so if the stations billed by kWh, that would come to $0.50 per hour for a total of $1.50 for the 3 hours needed to fully recharge. But under the current system of $1/hour, the cost is double what it should be: in my…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Computers in Arthur lakes need to be fixed

There are multiple computers down at the library, I've counted 4 and there are many students that come to use computers here only to be turned away due to the ones that seem to be available are the ones that are down. This needs to be fixed as there will be more orediggers in the library once midterms get in full swing

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Registration sucks

The registration people are probably the most frustrating rudest people ever. I sent out 2 emails regarding problems with registering for classes for spring semester, and my first email had a read receipt so when I went to to check my emails I saw that they had opened it but decided to ignore, I sent them a 2nd email and once again totally ignored. I'm a freshman at this school I'm already busting my *** trying to get good grades I don't need this stress, if they're gonna treat us unfairly then they shouldn't have that job as registration. It…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Clean the SRC Gym Floors!

The gym floors are so dirty it doesn't matter if you wear nice gym shoes, you won't get any traction and you'll just have to clean your shoes every time you use the gym. My idea is pretty simple: SRC employees stay for an hour after close (once or twice a week) and sweep and mop the gym floors. The SRC at Mines has the cost of a nice gym, but delivers the quality and service of a shoddy gym at a large middle school. Half of the SRC employees are being paid to watch tv behind the desk, or…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your beef Ethan! This has quickly become an important issue among students. I have contacted the recreation center to address the cleanliness and safety issues with the gym. Regarding being overcrowded, administration is taking steps to curve the issue with Spruce and Jackson having gyms. Additionally there are future plans to create more indoor recreation space open to all students.

-Griffin

13. Expand Available On-Campus Therapy

Mines talks a lot about how in favor it is of supporting mental health, but a lot of the resources seem to be more fluff than genuinely beneficial. Wellness workshops and 10 minutes in health office hours aren't providing what hurting students need- therapy should be more widely and quickly available for students on campus. Even getting referred to long-term therapy off campus takes months, and follow up is very limited. That's a big problem for people who need someone to talk to.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SRC gym space, sanitation, and safety issues

I know this idea has been presented numerous times in the past three or so years, but the SRC gym appears to be far too small for the number of students at our school. I understand there was the recent gym addition in the new Spruce dorm, but the space seems relatively small compared to the immense growth of our student population. Given that the space issue cannot be fixed immediately, I am curious to know what plan the administration has in place to address the issue.

In addition to the space concern, I feel that more effort should be…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Club sports needs work

I do not believe club sports has enough administrative resources to meet the needs of all the club sports teams. It is extremely hard to get anything done for your team. We are limited in fundraising, and now maybe even the number of players, and which season we can participate in. Club sports should encourage more people to play and multi semester seasons. If more people participate then clubs can acquire more funds through dues and potentially decrease the price for each player. Clubs should be allowed to have as many participants as they desire.

Additionally it is unfair when…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Mines should provide access to Tampons and Pads in all bathrooms

Colorado School of Mines should have access to tampons and pads in all bathrooms. Currently, the Vanguard Scholars are sponsoring tampons and pads in the bathroom, however, making sure students have period supplies should not fall on a student group. Even if the tampons and pad dispensers "are not used enough" it should not be on student organizations to supply tampons. In the bathrooms where there are no tampons and pads provided by the vanguard scholars, there are signs that recommend walking to the Ben Parker student center in order to get supplies. This must have been written by someone…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display in the Student Center

There's a display near the couches outside of Periodic Table. It used to be a nice place to sit but now it's not because of the annoying noise the new display makes. This petition is to remove the display (or at least keep it muted).

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Remote learning during inclement weather

This semester in specific, there have been multiple instances of clear, 50 degree, sunny days, followed by massive 4-8 inch snow storms. Many of these days the roads have been unsafe, even for the most experienced winter drivers, with snow tires and 4-wheel drive, let alone students not experienced with driving in the snow and students who do not own vehicles well-equipped for the snow. The COVID-19 pandemic proved that 100% remote or online learning, while obviously not desirable, is still entirely possible. This thread is not necessarily asking for more snow days, or the opportunity to miss more class…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Mines Car Theft Problem

I am sick and tired of seeing Timely Warning: Motor Vehicle Theft in my inbox. MPD needs to develop a plan on how they plan to tackle the increasing number of car thefts that have occurred on campus. And no, telling me "This motor vehicle theft is consistent with a notable increase in vehicle crimes across the Denver Metropolitan area" does not cut it.

I have concerns that my car may be stolen/broken into if I do not park as close as possible to campus buildings and I no longer feel safe leaving campus later at night as I worry…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?