Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Where are the lucky charms mines market?

There are never lucky charms or bagels when I want them on Saturday!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Flowers around campus

Just because we live in the Rockies doesn't give us an excuse to have an ugly campus. The landscaping around campus is pretty dismal if you ask me, besides in front of Guggenheim there is no real color around campus. All we have are those ugly "everbrown" plants in front of some buildings. I know Colorado has 4 seasons, but the campus always looks dull. I know Mines markets itself on its reputation, but the visual appeal of our campus does nothing to attract potential students if you ask me.

In terms of what could be done, a little goes…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Lights along 19th Heading up to 6th Av.

Any reasonable evaluation of the dangers inherent due to the insufficient lightening and security along the section 19th Street located between the cross-sections of 19th St. and Elm St. and 19th St. and 6th Av. would leave responsible risk management parties to conclude that a liability situation exists and should be fixed as soon as possible. Given that Mines Park Apartments are owned and managed by Colorado School of Mines in that this section of 19th St. is the only pedestrian link between the main campus and Mines Park apartments, it is in the best interest of Colorado School of…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that we brought this lighting issue to Public Safety during the USG sponsored campus safety walk during dead day. Turns out that lighting is planned to go up along with the construction of the 19th Street roundabout/crossing!

Unfortunately, after talking to facilities maintenance, putting up temporary lighting when lighting is already planned for the path up to Mines Park is not a feasible option.

And now we wait for it’s completion!

Love,
    USG

UPDATE

Hello again!
    Currently, there is a lot of construction undergoing in that area so it is decently well lit. If there is still an issue after construction has concluded USG will contact the appropriate party to further address the issue.
    Thank you so much for your time and patience!
    Sincerely
    USG

4. Study Room Sharing in Brown Building

The study rooms in Brown are quite the hot commodity, but there are currently no rules in place on their usage. Very frequently, one can walk by any of the study rooms and see:

1) A single person in a study room.

2) A whole bunch of items laying around, with no student to be found for hours, even.

There's nothing inherently wrong in the first example, but many students try and get into these rooms during the day because they don't want to sit in the common area. I think a flippable sign on the rooms that reads "Willing…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE:
    To address your concerns we have:

1) Added a flippable sign that says “Willing to Share” and “Don Not Disturb” to allow more students to use the rooms.

2) Added verbiage on the bottom of both sides of the sign that say “Please clean the room before you leave”

If you have any other GREAT ideas please post them on What’s Your Beef.

Love,
    USG

USG is currently working on language to put in the Brown study rooms to support this idea. If you have any ideas for verbiage besides what has already been shared put it in the comments below.

-USG

5. Pedestrian crosswalks on Washington Street

Crosswalks on 17th and Washington and 18th and Washington.

The terrain, confusion, and volume of traffic make those intersections unsafe for cars and pedestrians.

That area is on top of a hill, so oncoming traffic doesn't see pedestrians until the last minute.
    Also, parked cars block the pedestrian from view until they are already ten feet into crossing the street.

We are relying on hesitated gesture exchange between cars and pedestrians instead of crosswalks to keep people safe.

Those intersections are key campus access points which many students use when traveling by car or foot.

17th and Washington is statistically…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. CTLM Lady supplies

Okay, so this one is a complaint from any girl that has used the CTLM restroom. The napkins and tampons machines require quarters... But quarters won't fit in the slot! There's a plastic extrusion on all the machines that won't allow for a quarter to be deposited. I get the feeling that the machines just weren't installed correctly.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. IM Sports should be free

For those of you that don't know, Intramurals is now charging to play most of their IM sports (not just golf and action karting like they always have). IM plans on charging students for floor hockey, basketball, arena football, kickball, outdoor soccer, softball, and 4 v 4 volleyball this semester. For example, outdoor soccer and basketball will cost $30 a team. Between our activities fee, athletics fee, and rec center dues, we should be able to play IM sports for free.

Charging students is unjustified especially since the level of service has not changed (they even removed IM Bowling). I…

127 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For the 2015/2015 school year Club Sports, IM Sports, Be Well, and the ORC are all in charge of distributing the money they get allocated as a whole amongst themselves. How they spend their money and the decision to charge for IM sports will be entirely up to them. We expressed how upset students are about the charge to John Howard, who is in charge of IM sports, so we hope that changes are made for next year.

Love,
    USG

We agree that IM sports should be free. The issue here is that there was a $17,000 field maintenance fee dropped on IM Sports and Club Sports at the beginning of the semester that was not expected. IM Sports has to cover $10,000 while Club covers $7,000.

This fee was charged by facilities at the beginning of the school year, after allocations had taken place. Allocations take place…

8. CSM Technology

CSM campus needs much better WIFI. It is really hard to get any homework done on campus when in order to load a page my options are wait for twenty min or disconnect and reconnect to they WIFI. Additionally, the projectors and computer stations in classrooms need to be more reliable. When a professor can't give a lecture because of a technology failure and has to schedule make up classes, something needs to be fixed.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Have a limit on emails sent out per day

There are an extremely large number of emails sent out to mines email addresses per day. So much so that I often find myself deleting them without even opening them and only briefly glancing at the subject and sender. Email should be used by professors, students, and faculty to engage in two way conversation, not as a bulk news and information service.

There should be a set limit on how many emails can be sent to the entire population of mines email addresses per day to limit the information overload. In addition, a new way to get this information out…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To update you on this issue, the school has looked into changing the email system in order to send out less emails per day. Currently, they are looking into sending out one email with every announcement per day. There will also be different digests so that people can send their emails to the appropriate audience. They are hoping to implement this system next semester.

10. Excused Absences

I personally think that job interviews should be considered an excused absence.
    I understand that it could be easy to fabricate job interviews to move tests and assignments, so there would likely have to be an extensive verification process; however, I feel like it is entirely justifiable for anyone, especially a graduating senior, to reschedule assignments and tests so that they can pursue a job. The whole point of my education is to begin a career. It's a losing circle when the institution trying to help me get a career refuses to let me get the job to begin with.

110 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Last you heard, USG had written a formal memo to the Dean of Student Life. That memo, see below, was taken into consideration and approved!

USG has written a formal memo to the Dean of Student Life proposing that excused absences be given to people with job interviews. We spoke to him before hand so it is likely that the memo will be approved, however there are a few limitations. They will only be excused for seniors and you are only allowed two a semester. It is highly likely that this policy will be in place soon!

Love,
    USG

11. The Wellness Center needs to be open on the weekends.

Injuries and sickness don't just stop on the weekends, and plenty of out-of-staters can't go home to be tended to. It's foolish to pay to see an off-campus doctor when we're supposed to have covered visits here. What's the point of living on campus and paying for health coverage if it's not available to us everyday?

216 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

After many conversations with the Director of the Health Center and Student Life, it has been decided that keeping the Health Center open on the weekends is not feasible. Trading the high level of care and great services students receive during the year for staying open extra days is not an option.

Fortunately, the new Urgent Care Center on Heritage and 6th has quick, friendly service and has reasonable co-pays. It is an ideal option as it is close and open 24/7.

Love,
    USG

12. Derek Morgan

Derek Morgan needs to go to anger management classes.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Take down Mica's walls!

Mica, the amazing omelet chef at Mines Market has been wrongfully trapped behind thick glass panes. The intellectual and uplifting conversations that were once a morning routine are now blocked by the excessive sneeze guard glass. Mines Market needs to change this for the well being of Mica and the students that enjoy him so much.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PHGN 200 should not be required for non Physics and Electrical Engineering majors

Physics 2 is notorious in the Mines community as the most difficult weed out class all students must take. While the idea of a well rounded education is noble the difficulty of PHGN 200, I believe, actually is detrimental to most students' educations. Unless you are in Physics or Electrical Engineering there is no tangible net benefit to taking PHGN200. In fact the difficulty, high credit hour impact, and required time outweighs the marginal benefit of taking it. A less comprehensive class covering the PHGN200 core concepts would be more beneficial to Mines students.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Meatless Monday

What's my beef? THERE IS NO BEEF! Meatless Mondays at Mines Market are a morbid idea. Not all of us are vegetarians, not all of us are carnivores. Why can't it be as simple as having an option for everybody?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hammocks on the commons

During the warmer weather we need hammock on the commons, so that people can take naps.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Why must Blackboard Course Evaluations Close so Early?

I feel participation rates for the Blackboard course evaluations would increase if they did not close on dead day. I cannot speak for everyone, but personally I am much more likely to complete the evaluations once I have completed my finals and am no longer spending time studying. Is there a reason they close the evaluations on dead day?

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. There's no place to tie up my horse for the day.

... It's a commuter horse.
    Also, it keeps getting tickets from parking services. What kind of sticker do I need for her for Kaffadar?

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Keep blackboard from crashing

Keep Blackboard from crashing. The new "fix" didn't work. It's down right now.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 3 votes
    Vote