Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

453 results found

1. Why not play Mines Internet Radio instead of the Ordigger Radio?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the new "Ordigger Radio" played it the Rec Center and in Mines Market, and was wondering why they don't play Mines Internet Radio. It seems like a fairly reliable service, is run by a school club, and would give our student DJs more exposure.

I don't know about any of the financial or logistic issues, but it seems silly to have a separate service for music in buildings when a school club could provide the same service, since I'm pretty sure MIR plays music all day, even when they don't have a student…

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Field session should be re-thought

Field session should be reevaluated. It does not truly offer skills for future employers like an internship would. For those that have long field sessions, they cannot have an internship which makes it way harder to be employed at the end of graduation. Employees are also looking for students to start directly after graduation, which often is not possible with field session. Plus, not all families plan for an extra 6 credits during the summer to pay which puts a strain on the family. It is also impossible to have a job and do field session to pay for tuition…

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. FRESHMAN HAVE COMMUTER PASSES AND NOW ALL LOTS ARE FULL BY 10 AM!!!

I am beyond pissed about this. We already had shitty parking. You already took away a whole fucking lot for christ's sake. Now, somebody decided that the freshman should have access to commuter passes. This clearly was not well thought out. This new freshman class is one of the largest, and the fucking live on campus so they leave their fucking cars in the lot. HALF THE SPOTS ARE TAKEN BY THE TIME I GO TO BED AT NIGHT! What the fuck? Who the fuck do I start a jihad against. I didn't pay $130 to get parking tickets everyday.…

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Emails Should Be Condensed/Lessened

All the campus emails should be condensed into one daily email and the quality of emails should be improved.

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Replace Sodexo

The food vendors and options here at Mines need to be revamped. The food quality I would say is the worst of any school I have had in Colorado of the major schools. For being a world class institution, with an expensive bill, the food should be a lot better. We should terminate contracts and find better suppliers and vendors.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Urgent changes needed for Mines Park Family residents.

As a member of the Mines Park community sometime I understand the basic principle of preventing MP residents from being able to obtain parking passes in efforts to reduce parking lot congestion on campus. However as a parent of Mines Park my spouse and I have reached a point where we realize that something needs to change.

90-95% of the time I walk to school everyday while, my spouse who works a 7-4pm shift at a government agency, must get our 4 year old up, dressed, fed, and off to school by 6:30am in the morning. We have to place…

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Test of high vote account

See how quickly I can get this upvoted by multiple proxy accounts. Enjoy!

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. There aren't enough study areas

Simply put, there aren't enough free tables to study at.

As a student who lives off campus I don't have the luxury of returning to my dorm room to study if all the common areas are full. Some days I'll walk from brown hall, to the library, then coorstek, and finally marquez and have difficulty finding a spot to simply sit down and do work.

This isn't a complaint about the private study rooms. I'd simply like a table to put my laptop and papers on to work between classes.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Mandatory Rec Center Fees! (Junior)

The rec center is expensive! Every semester the charge is pretty substantial. I really appreciate the rec center and everything it has to offer, yet it seems like the rec center should be something people can opt out of after their Freshman year. If you don't use it, you shouldn't have to keep paying for it!

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While we completely understand your concern, the Rec Center fee is for the greater good of the school. Not only does your fee grant you access into the SRC, but it also allows you to participate in intramurals (for free) and helps keep the Rec Center operational. Physical activity is vital to a healthy atmosphere here at Mines and the Rec Center fee contributes to that. Thanks for your concerns.

Best wishes-USG!

11. Online Tuition Unchanged

Summer I classes are going to be online, and the school is not lowering the tuition. This seems unreasonable since we are not getting the same instruction and experiences that the Mines tuition usually covers. Remote learning is nowhere near as beneficial as in-person instruction. While Mines is doing the right thing by still offering classes online given the situation, they should do so fairly.
    The school should lower tuition for the online courses to more accurately cover the education we will be receiving.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Wooden Floors in a Ballroom in the Student Center

A large space with wooden floors on campus is highly sought after, and while the Green Center is being renovated, there are few affordable options. If Ballrooms D and E, for example, had wooden floors, the space could be used to host events, offer easier clean-up, and help even demand for the wooden floored rooms in the Student Recreation Center (McNeil and Isaacs). Wooden floors would benefit many clubs and events on campus, such as Ballroom Dance and Karate club, and could be used for many activities and events that benefit from wooden floors such as conference events, cultural events,…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Math 201 $100 Homework System

Prob&Stats uses McGraw Hill Connect for their homework assignments. On top of tuition and a textbook, it costs $100 to students. To my knowledge, there are over 150 students enrolled in the course. This wouldn't be a huge issue, except that a high school student could have written the software. Requiring students to purchase this expensive yet poorly implemented homework program is ridiculous. Not even kidding, lon-capa is better by most standards. Is there anything that can be done to stop using this system in the future?

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately the math department makes decisions on how to best support their students through online systems. We will reach out to look at alternatives, but know that there is not a lot we can do other than express student concern. We are also looking at open educational resources (OER) in the future and will keep you updated on that.

Love,
    USG

14. Athletics using money irresponsibly, again?

The athletics department chartered a jet for the soccer team for their games this week. I'm all for supporting our teams and all but the athletics department was in the red last year for poorly managing their budget and had USG and GSG bail them out by increasing student fees. Now we see that they've used our additional student fees for chartering a private jet? 

I get that a week is short notice for getting plane tickets but there had to be an economical way of getting our team to their games. It seems like the athletics department is again…

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The NCAA covers most of the costs associated with these games. The NCAA pays for all flights for our student athletes in this situation. The NCAA could not find a commercial flight for our men’s soccer team last weekend so they paid for a charter flight instead. Mines did not pay a single penny for the charter flight. The NCAA paid for it in its entirety. Thanks :)

Love,
    USG

15. No class on labor day or veterans day

There are only 7 national legal holidays observed nationwide...New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

How do we not get Labor Day or Veterans Day off? That's ridiculous. It's unpatriotic.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. JUNIOR -- PRINTING

The Petroleum Department makes students print very large (20+ pages) lab reports and papers weekly for several different classes, making students pay a large sum of money every semester on printing. Many students on campus do not have their own printers, but should not be forced to pay so much just to turn in their assignments.

Here are a few possible solutions for this problem.

1. The Petroleum Department should allot students more than just 100 pages a year for printing, this hardly covers the printing cost. The Chemical Engineering Department gives their students more money and gives them free printing…

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. MINES MARKET NEEDS TO EITHER IMPROVE FOOD QUALITY OR DRAMATICALLY REDUCE WHAT THEY CHARGE US.

Mines Market is honestly some of the worst cafeteria food I have ever had and I have eaten cafeteria food just about everywhere whether its on military bases or college campuses. It's also the most expensive. For the marble meal plan I am paying around $6,500 for less than 8 months of extremely low quality food. Whats worse is that is compulsory for freshman so Mines is really committing highway robbery when it comes to the prices and quality served at what I thought was a semi-prestigious school. Whats worse is that the staff don't even know how to properly…

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Freshman should have to move their cars to the Jones lot

All freshman that are parked in Q lot should have to move their cars to the Jones lot and the remainder would have to park at the back of Q lot

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The following is a portion of a recent campus-wide email was sent out from Anna Welscott:

“Policy changes will accompany the addition of the new lots, which will reduce the number of vehicles on campus. Based on feedback received through the series of campus meetings held this past fall, policy changes include limiting the number of vehicles authorized for freshman resident hall students through a waiver/lottery system of 200 permits, and restricting Mines Park residents from purchasing a General or Commuter permit. These policy changes will reduce the number of vehicles parking on the main campus by approximately 400, and will open up spaces for the students, faculty, and staff who commute to campus.”

With this, we conclude this issue as Freshman parking will face a different structure starting this semester.

19. USG Should Send Email on Voting Issues

As a student at Colorado School of Mines, I have no idea what USG is voting on at any given time. I believe, in order to actually increase the transparency of the organization, USG should inform its constituents of what the voting issues are. I don't know about other students, but I would like to know if they are voting to raise my tuition, change the RTD passes, or pass new construction projects. Additionally, if anyone tells you that they do, just take a look at there 'governing documents' page: https://usg.mines.edu/governing-documents/ On this page there is no mention of any…

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reaching out! We’re glad you’re interested in USG and what we’re doing.

You are correct in the fact that we haven’t been the best at sharing memos/resolutions being voted on; this was not by design or intent. Throughout the past semester, including this one, USG has been working to improve our transparency and communication with the student body, and that includes our efforts to let students know what is happening.

We believe this is a great idea, and it would help improve our transparency with students! Moving forward we will do our best to share our resolutions, memos, and things being voted on and when. In addition, the final vote will be up on the website under Governing Documents. At times it will be difficult because things do come up last minute, however, we still want to keep everyone on the same page.

Sometimes we do make mistakes…

20. More useful CAD software

The mechanical engineering department only uses Solidworks, when in reality most companies want you to have experience with AutoCAD, Pro-E or Six Sigma. Not sure what their thought process is there...

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students