Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

452 results found

1. Can we have a chick-fil-a on campus?

I think the student population would benefit greatly from a chick-fil-a on campus. Most people love a fantastic chicken sandwich while studying. I know it would be a logistics issue but if there's a spot for a chick-fil-a on campus that would be amazing.

80 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG has brought this issue up to the university’s food management team and we are unfortunately not going to be able to pursue this topic. WOW Cafe serves a lot of chicken items and, logistically, due to the size of our institution, it would be financially unsuitable to have two chicken eateries. The only possibility would be to change out WOW for Chick-fil-a, yet WOW offers more options for students. If you have any other dining suggestions please contact USG directly or continue to post on this forum. Thank you for your comment and support for engineering change!

Love,
    USG

2. Give Blaster Card Access to Brown

The Engineering students (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Environmental) can't get blaster card access to Brown but Mining, which is in Brown, does. Its wrong!

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been an ongoing project over the years. Currently our sophomore class is continuing it. If you have any specific questions about the progress you can email the president or representatives, every officer is listed on our website at http://mines.orgsync.com/org/usg/officers

UPDATE
    USG reached out to Brown to initiate this change but found it was not realistic. Apparently a lot of malicious actions were done in Brown when students had access. Even recently doors have been destroyed. Also, citing the lack of cameras in Brown, administration is not willing to accept this suggestion.

-USG

3. On Campus Leopard Gecko Storage

Hello everyone, I would like to propose leopard gecko storage on campus. Currently I don't have a place to store my gecko Lizzie during class and it would be nice to visit her during passing periods. Somewhere like the library would be ideal. People could look at her, but please don't tap the glass, she is shy. There would also need to be cricket storage nearby, as I just got a large shipment of crickets in the mail and Lizzie needs to eat those little hoppers!! She is very pretty and I think others would benefit from the storage as…

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Mines Market hours are not sufficient

Mines market closes at 7 on weekends and 8 on week nights. Some students would a late night snack or would prefer to eat a hot breakfast on the weekend earlier than 9 am. Could the hours be extended? Also while the variety of food is delicious there never seems to be enough of it. The pizza station is usually lacking, the yogurt station in the morning is empty, and the bread has been out the last two times I have wanted to order a sandwich. Please help

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

USG has engaged in a conversation with Sodexo and has brought this concern to them. We will update you as the conversation progresses.

If you feel passionately about this topic, make sure to attend the Food Committee Meeting on Friday at 12pm in Mines Market!

Sodexo and the school have after talks with USG opened late night this year. Monday to Thursday Mines Market is now open till 10:00 and serves Pizza and ice-cream.

5. Why does Mines require us to take summer field session, but refuse financial assistance?

If we are required by the school to take field sessions during the summer semester, why is it that the financial aid office "recommend you apply for a private education loan to cover your costs for the summer..."?

As a student who is personally left, after aid offered, more than $16,000 short of estimated costs of attendance every year, I get absolutely no assistance from anyone and don't have the ability to work because I spend every waking minute working toward getting reasonable grades.

As one of the many minority, underprivileged students who have to work extra hard just to…

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. RTD College Passes Should Work During Summer

I attend classes every summer, but the RTD pass we have is not active during this time. This leaves students to pay an extra $300-$400 just for transportation during May, June, July and August if you regularly use the RTD to get to and from school, work, or home.

There should be an option to add the transportation fee during summer, and keep the RTD cards active, or even just keep them active for everyone year round.

People that live in colorado will still make use of them, especially during summer when they will have more time to work between…

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there!

Yes, unfortunately, the fee collected for the academic year only provides us service to RTD for the academic year. After talking with several students this summer alone, USG will be pursing this matter.

If students who take summer classes still need the RTD service, it would most likely require an extra fee for students taking summer classes. However if the full year service is pursued, we would look into an increase in the overall fee for transportation.

Keep checking back for more updates on the matter, and thanks for reaching out!

Love,
    USG

7. Mandatory Fees for Official Transcripts

To order an official transcript students must pay between $10 and $20 for every semester they need one. This could add up to $200 or more for a standard student over the course of their mines career and doesn't include the even larger fee for purchasing diplomas. This fee is unfair for students. Mines clearly has the information at all times, they should be able to just give us a copy. Furthermore, most requests for transcripts are for use in applying for scholarships and jobs. If a student is applying for scholarships especially, it's pretty clear that they are already…

58 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. USG is being irresponsible with money

I'd like to point out that every student here is paying a lot of money to go to Mines. In that, a large chunk of the money is going toward USG to help better our campus. USG is around to make campus better and hear the complaints of fellow students. USG is NOT here to use our money to buy headbands, hoodies, shirts, pants, and UNDERWEAR with the phrasing "We put the STUD in student gov". Which is exactly what they are planning to do with the money. It's really great that they are currently focusing on what color the…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voicing your concern to us! It is of the utmost importance to USG that we are actively working to better campus and student life for everyone. With that being said, we do receive a large portion of funds from student fees, but that money then gets reallocated to the 9 governing bodies that make up USG. The large majority of these funds go directly to MAC, BSO, BSM, etc. USG allocates a low amount of necessary funds to effectively do our job in bettering student life on campus with our various initiatives.

As far as the merchandise, we did purchase shirts for all of our members because it is very important for us to get our name out to the student body as it is our job to listen and voice their opinions to higher administration. We believe this purchase serves an important…

9. No Common Hour Exams for 300 level and Higher Courses

I propose that 300 level and higher classes should no longer have Common hour exams. I am involved in many organizations on campus and I can't tell you how many times I have had to miss a professional event that would have greatly benefited me and increased our schools reputation just because I had a test scheduled for that night.

I believe that when a student is at the point of taking 300 level classes, they should not only be focusing on schoolwork but also creating a professional life outside of classes. Having multiple common hour exams every other week…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Actually Use the Emergency Alert

I feel like after the event near Mines Park last night it needs to be addressed. Last night there was an imminent threat, and once again no text about it and not even an email yet at 9am the morning after. This year there has been 2 potential shooters and a package that was viewed as a bomb threat. It'd be nice to actually make use of the system that is supposed to protect us. What's the point of testing the equipment if it is never going to be used. Last year I got a text about an active shooter…

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 19th and Elm Ford lot pedestrian crossing

There should be a better way for crossing 19th street from the Ford parking lot. Too many times have I been late to class just because I had to stand at the crosswalk for 20 minutes just to wait for a car to finally stop for me. With winter weather coming this becomes an increasingly important safety concern as well. I propose something in the way of either a button activated street light, or maybe just a crossing guard in the mornings and afternoon.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So this post is old, but we have new info! First, I believe a blinking light was put in to allow pedestrians to cross more easily, so hopefully that helped! However, part of the 6th and 19th crossing planning includes putting a roundabout at the 19th and Elm intersection. This won’t be in construction for another year or so but will probably cause some issues in the future. Just want to let you all know that USG voiced our concerns to the planning committee at the last meeting about 6th and 19th about the pedestrian crossing, but that is all we can do for now!

12. The intellectual property policy is an unfair to students.

Improvements could be made by removing the "has bearing on a class the student is currently taking" clause, which is ambiguous and would be easy for the school to exploit in nearly every case; adding an exemption to claims on IP developed using any "school resources" for the campus internet, to which all students have alternatives, but the use of which is certainly convenient; and removing the burden of proof from the student as far as school resource use is concerned.

Also, it seems a little silly to claim all IP developed by ALL school employees, RA's and janitors included.

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Peking Plate is Actually Inedible

This is a cry for help.

Today I was ridiculously hungry. So I went to Peking Plate for lunch. Huge mistake! The food was so bad that despite literal hunger pains I physically couldn't eat more than two bites before throwing it in the trash.
    Even when it was Habaneros, the food wasn't great. But it's pretty hard to screw up a burrito, so it was at least a reliable source of food energy. Now they're making us pay for ACTUAL GARBAGE. Also, it's the same people/ingredients/effort as before. If y'all are going to put Jalapenos in your "Chinese food",…

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Good morning! Thank you for voicing your concern with us! Earlier this past semester, the junior class representatives sent out a survey asking people for feedback on Peking Plate and based off of that feedback and after coordinating with Sodexo, Peking Plate will not be returning this Spring 2019 semester. It will remain full-time Habaneros!

Best, USG

14. Make fall break a part of thanksgiving break

I understand that a 4 day weekend in the fall can be nice, but the fact that we have that 4 day weekend and then thanksgiving week still has class that Monday and Tuesday is messed up.

For out of state students, it means many of them can't go home for thanksgiving and spend some (probably) much needed time with their family. While not all of them would do this, it sucks that the choice is then taken out of their hands.

There are also students (like me) who are in-state but grew up elsewhere, and the only time we…

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

So we have just started the discussion on this topic. We have a calendar committee working with those in administration right now to address this and other topics.

About half of our senate believe similarly to your comments. We will update you once a verdict is reached. We will also bring up the topic of holding tests during that week. Thank you!

Love,
    USG

15. [SERIOUS] There are too many cum trees on campus

While the title may read as a joke, the cum tree is a real thing. Its scientific name is pyrus calleryana and here's the link to the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_calleryana
    Googling "cum tree" will also pull up this page.

This tree is called the a cum tree based on the smell that it produces while blooming. It has been described as rotting fish or semen. Unfortunately for us, there are several of these trees all over campus and they all bloom at the same time. This causes our beautiful campus to smell like someone just finished having sex with the…

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dead Day Coffee

I don't understand why Sodexo would not have Starbucks and Einsteins open on the one day of the semester that students would spend the most money on coffee. Even just having it open during the morning is better then nothing.

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Parking Garage Under New Buildings

What I am suggesting is when planning new buildings, design for a level or two of parking underneath. This is much cheaper than building a separate parking garage detached from the building. It also lowers the maintenance cost of a parking garage as the most expensive maintenance is the upper deck. This is done in many buildings including schools that we compete with. Attached are images proving my point.

As a school that does not promise on campus housing for 4 years, it is the school's responsibility to provide parking or transportation to and from campus. As Mines does not…

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mines Park Shuttle

With the construction going on around campus and the general traffic of 6, I think it would be beneficial if there was a shuttle that could bus Mines Park residents back and forth from campus to MP. On Career Day when there is transportation to campus, many residents use it. This would be a great fix to the parking requests made by Mines Park residents and would also be a safer way to get to class.

In addition to safety, it could also allow MP residents to be more efficient with their time by getting 10 extra minutes of homework…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop giving commuter pass holders parking tickets when the commuter lots are full

I have classes at 11 am on Mondays and Wednesdays. These are peak hours for parking, and lately when I've arrived on campus all of the commuter lots are full, including Lots A, F, FF, J, Q, and the spots available around sororities and fraternities. I tend to arrive about 20 minutes before classes start, and I and many other students must drive around to all of these lots, waiting for spots to open up. In some cases, no spots are available, so lately many students have been parking outside marked spaces in Q lot, without impeding the flow of…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Meaningful Snowdays" - Student safety should be paramount, PCJ and USG.

I'd like to preface this message by mentioning that I don't even own a car, and yet it is still a danger for me to walk to school given the icy sidewalk conditions. Additionally, any commuting student from nearby municipalities such as Denver, Lakewood or Arvada are exposed to extreme risks because of the road conditions. With the recent homecoming event, I think it should be paramount that the faculty, USG and PCJ focus on the meaningful safety of their students. As much of a burden it is to cancel school or temporarily postpone campus, and as much as students…

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Undergraduate Students