Skip to content

Undergraduate Students

38 results found

1. Replace Sodexo

The food vendors and options here at Mines need to be revamped. The food quality I would say is the worst of any school I have had in Colorado of the major schools. For being a world class institution, with an expensive bill, the food should be a lot better. We should terminate contracts and find better suppliers and vendors.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Library Study Rooms

In the last year, the library study rooms have been booked 5,789 times. This does not include walk-ins. For those reservations, students spend an average of two hours in the rooms each session. Students reserve study rooms to independently study, have job interviews, attend virtual classes and webinars, meet with groups, and even host TA office hours.

Despite playing such an important role for students, the study rooms haven’t been updated in decades. Seeing as the graduate student government, working alongside the library, was able to remodel the study rooms on the third floor a few years ago, I think…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Clean the SRC Gym Floors!

The gym floors are so dirty it doesn't matter if you wear nice gym shoes, you won't get any traction and you'll just have to clean your shoes every time you use the gym. My idea is pretty simple: SRC employees stay for an hour after close (once or twice a week) and sweep and mop the gym floors. The SRC at Mines has the cost of a nice gym, but delivers the quality and service of a shoddy gym at a large middle school. Half of the SRC employees are being paid to watch tv behind the desk, or…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your beef Ethan! This has quickly become an important issue among students. I have contacted the recreation center to address the cleanliness and safety issues with the gym. Regarding being overcrowded, administration is taking steps to curve the issue with Spruce and Jackson having gyms. Additionally there are future plans to create more indoor recreation space open to all students.

-Griffin

4. There’s no free (non-meal swap) food after 8:30 on campus!

As somebody who enjoys a late, post-gym meal sometime around 9ish I’ve been very disappointed by the lack of available food options at night. With the switch to Zime, Mines is limiting students to 3 meals after 8:30 a week. This is unacceptable for us who like to eat late for any number of reasons. Bring back non-meal exchange food at night!

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. There is not enough space on Campus

This campus has been too small for the undergraduate class since I came to Mines in 2020. The gym is too small and you will spend much more time waiting for machines and weights to free up than actually working out. I live 5 minutes off campus and yet if I don't leave 30+ minutes early I will be late for class because I have to drive across the entire campus looking for a single open parking spot. There are multiple restaurants on campus that have just been closed since my Freshman year with no reasons given causing lines and…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Campus  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Update the Software Infrastructure at Mines

There are too many students on campus for the absolutely abysmal connectivity issues at Mines. Isengard crashes almost every day at 2 pm because the servers are overloaded. 90 percent of the time I have to rely on using data because the wifi goes down. If Mines is going to insist on admitting the ludicrous number of students it has (which honestly is a problem in it of itself) then they need to prioritize updating the outdated software and connection infrastructure. Students should be assured of having consistent connection to the internet at an ENGINEERING school

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Open all the CLOSED restaurants on campus!

Since spring 2020 half of our dining spots have been “closed until further notice”. It made sense when campus was remote and nobody used them, but with the large freshman class and all classes back to normal, not opening these places will result in extreme crowding in mines market and long student center lines, already a problem last semester. The closed facilities (Einstein’s, SubConnection, Blaster’s Brew) are all in different buildings so opening them would really spread out lunch/dinner crowds and be better for everyone’s health.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Chemistry labs are not accessible

The chemistry labs are not accessible for students with mobility issues. Last year my friend was in a wheelchair and when she brought up the issue she was told to drop the course. This is completely unacceptable. She reached out to DSS and they told her they couldn’t do anything. In my experience with DSS and accessibility on campus no one is actually interested in changing things. They just want to say they are promoting accessibility and say they’re open to feedback with zero results.
    We have also been fighting to better the process of notifying students of outages on…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SRC gym space, sanitation, and safety issues

I know this idea has been presented numerous times in the past three or so years, but the SRC gym appears to be far too small for the number of students at our school. I understand there was the recent gym addition in the new Spruce dorm, but the space seems relatively small compared to the immense growth of our student population. Given that the space issue cannot be fixed immediately, I am curious to know what plan the administration has in place to address the issue.

In addition to the space concern, I feel that more effort should be…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Facilities

With as much money as Mines takes in, they should consider building another recreation center with a massive weight room. The recreation center is too small and doesn't have enough space. It should also be open 24/7. Also the parking at mines needs to be improved. Consider building CTLM lots vertically into parking garages and making more parking available to students and visitors.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Mines Car Theft Problem

I am sick and tired of seeing Timely Warning: Motor Vehicle Theft in my inbox. MPD needs to develop a plan on how they plan to tackle the increasing number of car thefts that have occurred on campus. And no, telling me "This motor vehicle theft is consistent with a notable increase in vehicle crimes across the Denver Metropolitan area" does not cut it.

I have concerns that my car may be stolen/broken into if I do not park as close as possible to campus buildings and I no longer feel safe leaving campus later at night as I worry…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I am another person with a beef about parking. I drove around literally 40 minutes today looking in several lots, not one space available.

When I started at Mines, Freshman were not allowed to have vehicles on campus. Restrictions were lifted with COVID, but were they ever put back in place? If there are more parking permits issued than spots available, then the number should be capped to align with the spots.
    They just closed lot I to build a parking garage, which is great. What is not good is that they list a bunch of temporary parking that does not exist yet. Don’t close a lot before creating equivalent parking while it is closed.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Facilities

With as much money as Mines takes in, they should consider building another recreation center with a massive weight room. The recreation center is too small and doesn't have enough space. It should also be open 24/7. Also the parking at mines needs to be improved. Consider building CTLM lots vertically into parking garages and making more parking available to students and visitors.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. (3/4) doors locked

Why is it that most external doors on campus are locked from the outside. I assume its for a security concern, but when there is 4 doors into a building in a single location and only one of them opens from the outside, it is really frustrating.
    In general most of the doors suck, they are heavy, close very quickly, don't have a good range of motion, and have a center bar in them that prevents about 1/3 of all foot traffic.
    Solution:
    unlock all external doors for traffic from both outside and inside.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Remote learning during inclement weather

This semester in specific, there have been multiple instances of clear, 50 degree, sunny days, followed by massive 4-8 inch snow storms. Many of these days the roads have been unsafe, even for the most experienced winter drivers, with snow tires and 4-wheel drive, let alone students not experienced with driving in the snow and students who do not own vehicles well-equipped for the snow. The COVID-19 pandemic proved that 100% remote or online learning, while obviously not desirable, is still entirely possible. This thread is not necessarily asking for more snow days, or the opportunity to miss more class…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Parking fees are unjust

As an older student who has a family, mortgage, and other responsibilities, it seams unreasonable for Mines to charge for parking considering the very limited housing community in the city of Golden. The practice of charging students who cant afford to live close to Mines campus an additional fee (parking pass) to attend classes is dishonest to say the least. This dishonesty is multiplied with the fact that the City of Golden has made it illegal to park near campus if you don't live in the City of Golden.
    Solutions:
    1) Don't charge students to park on campus.
    2) Charge…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Blastercard access during non-business hours

When I was a freshman, we had Bastercard access to get into public buildings on campus after hours. Mines called itself an open campus at the time because of this. It was great because we could study at the school during weekends and use the rooms to meet with friends after homework or activities.
    Now, it's a hit or miss on getting into buildings because there's no Blastercard access and you need to find a door that's been propped open. Let us access the buildings after hours again!

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Display in the Student Center

There's a display near the couches outside of Periodic Table. It used to be a nice place to sit but now it's not because of the annoying noise the new display makes. This petition is to remove the display (or at least keep it muted).

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Charge for electricity instead of time at the EV stations

Right now all of the EV chargers on campus cost $1 per hour regardless of how much electricity is consumed. This is a complete ripoff because the actual cost of electricity is only $0.10-$0.15 cents per kWh.

For example, the battery in my PHEV has a 10kWh capacity, and it charges at 3.3 kW per hour, so if the stations billed by kWh, that would come to $0.50 per hour for a total of $1.50 for the 3 hours needed to fully recharge. But under the current system of $1/hour, the cost is double what it should be: in my…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1